Just Takes 2™ Quilt – December 1 Quilt Blocks and Final Assembly

I’m sorry to be so late getting this posted but things have been busy around here and I just didn’t get to writing the instructions as soon as I’d hoped to after getting back from Shipshewana. There are 14 pages of instructions today so buckle up and get ready to rock and roll!
It’s hard to believe it’s time for the final set of blocks in the Just Takes 2 quilt and we can put all those sections together in one spectacular quilt but here we are! The final assembly is not without it’s challenges but there’s nothing you can’t handle. Remember, a picture is worth a 1000 words and there’s plenty when you get to that part.

Before we get to all that let’s have a look at the last 5 blocks.

Block 96

Block 97

The simple basket in the center of this block is foundation paper pieced because of the unique size needed to set it perfectly on point within the background.

Block 98

Block 99

The center circle in the exhibit quilt was red but I decided to make mine white. I lined the piece so the seam allowance wouldn’t show through. I may still do some embroidery in the center but haven’t decided for sure. If you’ve been collecting the optional embroidery patterns there are lots of extra designs to choose from.

Block 100

The final block!

I really wanted to take a picture of the full quilt but couldn’t seem to find a place inside the house large enough to lay it out. Clutch is the one who had the great idea to……….

….take it outside! It was my idea however to try to photograph it from up on the deck. Not perfect but it works.

If you planned to add a border (or borders) to your quilt you’ll be happy to know Brenda will have some suggestions for you on Dec. 15th. I haven’t decided if I’m going to stop here or not. For right now I’m going to enjoy looking at the blocks and embroidery – I’ll think about borders tomorrow!

I did my final assembly at the Dear Jane retreat last month. There are several set in seams that I didn’t notice when dividing the sections so I apologize for the extra challenge you’ll have putting things together. It’s not really as bad as that makes it sound. If you follow the zillion pictures on the instruction pages you’ll be just fine.

Just Takes 2™ Blocks for December 1 and Final Assembly Instructions- Click here

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

This post was written by who has written 432 posts on Sentimental Stitches.

12 Responses to “Just Takes 2™ Quilt – December 1 Quilt Blocks and Final Assembly”

1. Penny P December 1, 2012 at 2:29 pm #

Thank you Gay! What a wonderful quilt, and I so enjoyed making it!

2. Susan December 1, 2012 at 3:06 pm #

It is a georgous quitl 100 blocks later. Well done, very well done.

3. Pat Gaska December 2, 2012 at 5:42 am #

Oh WOW! I love it! Thank you both for your hard work at planning and preparing this project. It has been especially enjoyable to complete the many blocks that are new to me, though I’ve been quilting for 35+ years!

4. Madhu December 2, 2012 at 9:10 am #

What a stunning quilt! Absolutely love the idea that I am making it too:-)

5. Mary Britton December 2, 2012 at 12:55 pm #

Gay, What a beautiful quilt. I am a little behind in getting my blocks made, but hope to catch up soon. My #1 daughter has spoken for this quilt. Red is her favorite color! I will hand quilt it for her. Thank you for all your hard work on this project. Paper piecing has never been my favorite, but thanks to this project, I am getting better. Will be looking forward to your next projects!

6. Diane December 4, 2012 at 12:48 pm #

Beautiful! Thanks for all your hard work! Are there 2 blocks missing? I don’t have 85 & 86 or is 86 & 87? I don’t see them on the quilt assembly either?

7. Deborah December 6, 2012 at 8:09 pm #

Love the final quilt! Wasn’t sure how it would all look in the end, but it is quite stunning! Bravo.

8. Sara December 18, 2012 at 12:42 pm #

Wow, thank you, Gay (and Brenda) for a year of blocks and instructions!

9. Elizabeth Kenny December 21, 2012 at 6:13 pm #

Thank you Gay and Brenda for a truly inspiring journey. I tried many different techniques ( some never to be repeated!) but I stuck with it and have an heirloom for one of my children.Some of the blocks I looked at and thought “no way” but then did them anyway and they turned out okay. I too will miss this journey next year… “Dear Hannah ” is looking like the project for 2013 as I have a Hannah to pass it to. Merry Christmas and thanks again

10. Quilterguy27 December 31, 2012 at 12:56 pm #

Hello Gay: I’ve loved very much following along on your Just Takes 2 quilt. I very much would like to add borders. Stupid question: Where do I find where Brenda has posted instructions for borders on December 15th. Thanks so much for sharing this beautiful quilt with us!!!
    Your quilty friend,
    Quilterguy27

11. Gay January 4, 2013 at 5:24 pm #

You can get them on the Just Takes 2 page at Dear Jane. You want to download Unit 24.

12. Gay February 8, 2013 at 3:09 pm #

Brenda has the border suggestions on her Just Takes 2 page at Dear Jane. CLICK HERE