2013 – Just Takes 2™ Schoolhouse Quilt

It has been so much fun for Brenda and I to see the pictures of your completed Just Takes 2™ quilts from 2012. Those of you who stuck with it though all 100 blocks have made some pretty awesome quilts. You’ve made us proud! Just because we’re moving on to 2013 doesn’t mean you should give up on the quilt that was “Just Too Much” or was taking “Just Too Long”. Keep stitching away and when you need a break you can make one of the 2013 Just Takes 2™ blocks!

They’re quick, easy and oh so cute. We’re probably starting you off with one of the more difficult blocks but we know you won’t shy away from the challenge!

The fabric requirements and lots of other important information is on the Basic Information Page for the 2013 Schoolhouse Quilt at the Just Takes 2 blog site. We encourage you to post pictures, ask questions and share your progress at Just Takes 2 too.

This is the basic layout for the quilt. There are 20 blocks and just like last year you’ll receive one block on the first of the month here at Sentimental Stitches™ and then on the 15th of the month you’ll get a block at Dear Jane. Brenda and I both have pages on our web sites for the Just Takes 2 quilts.

This is the master block for the quilt. See that wide open square? That’s where you’ll be sewing in each of the twenty little quilt blocks you’ll be making throughout the rest of this year. You can make the schoolhouses each month as the blocks are presented or you can use the strip piecing instructions and have them ready and waiting for each little block that comes out.

This is Block 1 set inside the schoolhouse!

As you can see there are two shades of red used in the block. A red solid and a lighter red print. This won’t be the case in every block but it does happen in quite a few of the blocks so if you wanted to add a third color to the design you could.

Here’s a few color combinations to consider. The possibilities are endless!
I guess it’s time to get started. Things are pretty much the same as last year. Blocks are available free for one month from the date they’re posted. After that time they can be purchased HERE in the online store. There’s bound to be something we’ve forgotten to share with you so please email us if you have any questions and we’ll do our best to help. It’s a busy weekend but I’ll try to do a tutorial for you on the construction of the house block next week.

Just Takes 2™ Schoolhouse Quilt
Block 1 – Click here

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

This post was written by who has written 421 posts on Sentimental Stitches.

13 Responses to “2013 – Just Takes 2™ Schoolhouse Quilt”

1. Rose Marie February 1, 2013 at 9:45 pm #

Great minds think alike …. I just finished my house blocks with sampler blocks and am so thrilled with it. Everyone who ventures into the making of your blocks will love their quilt.

These are my blocks: http://www.appliqueandpatches.blogspot.ca/2013/01/houses-are-blocked.html

2. Jacque Wright February 1, 2013 at 9:47 pm #

Gay – I noticed the sample Block 1 you show has a white strip right below the roof so that the 6″ block doesn’t meet up with the bottom of the roof. But the pattern doesn’t show this extra white strip. I like the way that extra strip below the roof separates the small block from the roofline – so if you’re using the same color fabric for both, they don’t run together. Why the change?

3. Gay February 1, 2013 at 10:02 pm #

Good eye Jacque – truth be told……….I made my blocks a long, long time ago and wasn’t happy with the way they went together so we went with a more traditional Schoolhouse Block. There’s an extra seam in my block up by the chimney’s that isn’t in the pattern either. I like it much better without the break there. In most of the small blocks they just touch the roof unlike the spools which is right next to it so the loss of the strip doesn’t make that much difference.

4. Shazy February 2, 2013 at 9:55 am #

Oh lovely! So glad I found this, my favorite, red and houses, cant get much better:)
    Many thanks,

5. Gay February 8, 2013 at 3:05 pm #

Good news Jacque – I had time this week to work on the drawing for the schoolhouse you liked with the strip around the 6″ block and we’ll be posting directions for that schoolhouse too. The pattern will be ready to go along with the pattern on the 15th so if you prefer that look you’ll be all set. No change in the block size or quilt layout.

6. Gay February 8, 2013 at 3:06 pm #

Rose Marie your blocks are beautiful! I like the house design you used too and the red, white and blue are perfect. There’s nothing better than a classic design with a new twist!

7. Jacque Wright February 8, 2013 at 3:29 pm #

Wow Gay! You’re awesome to do that! I’ve just decided what colors I want to do mine in – different browns for the houses and then other colors mixed in for the small blocks – so haven’t done the first block yet. And Fat Quarter Shop is having a month-long sale on the Moda Bella Solids, just in time for me to stock up for this quilt! Good timing on everything.

One question – a friend of mine is also going to make this project and was wondering if a jelly roll of assorted solids would be wide enough (2-1/2″) to use in the 6″ blocks. Can you give us an answer so she can order? Thanks for all you do.

8. Raewyn February 9, 2013 at 9:05 pm #

I am still working on my Just Takes Two but may also be tempted to do this as well!! Thank you!!

9. Carmen February 15, 2013 at 9:52 am #

Could you help me find block 2? I believe I am supposed to go to the Dear Jane website but there is no PDF for the shoo fly block. I’m sure it’s just me – I would be so grateful for your help! I just love this quilt!

10. Gay February 15, 2013 at 10:40 am #

Brenda hasn’t posted the block yet. It should be out this afternoon. You’ll find it on THIS PAGE when it’s ready.

11. Donna February 20, 2013 at 9:19 am #

Thanx so much for starting another Just Takes 2 block of the month this year. I wanted to do the one you had last year and even downloaded most of the patterns, but first one thing then another got in the way and I never did make it, maybe someday in the future, thought it won’t be as much fun. I can’t wait to see how this one progresses! I’m a little behind so I am just getting started on this one. I have been going back and forth about the fabric and decided that instead of using the red & white fabric I bought I would make it a scrap quilt using a diffrent blue from my stash for each block and white as the background. My sewing machine is not working right now so I have decided to make this a completely hand made quilt. Something I haven’t done in a very long time. I’m really excited about it. Anyway, I have a question. You state in the pattern that the templates do not include the 1/4″ seam allowance, but what about the other pieces? Do the dimensions you give include the 1/4″ or not. Since I am using scraps I don’t have a lot of extra fabric and want to be sure I cut it right the first time. Thanx!

12. Gay February 20, 2013 at 10:10 am #

Hi Donna,

The rotary cutting measurements listed include the 1/4″ seam allowance. It’s only the templates where you have to add it as you cut.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Just Takes 2™ Schoolhouse Quilt Block Tutorial | Sentimental Stitches - February 10, 2013

[...] your pattern and the two fabrics you’ll be using. Here’s that beautiful batik and golden yellow [...]