1857 Album Quilt – Blocks 32 – 33 – 34 – 35

I'm sorry to be late this month with my post for the 1857 Album Quilt blocks. After watching my granddaughter three days a week and taking care of Sentimental Stitches there isn't much time for me to do any stitching. I wasn't feeling like much of a quilter and had to put fabric, needle and thread together to renew my spirit.

IMG_8130
IMG_8329
IMG_8341
I wanted to make a quilt, valances and Minnie Mouse sheets for Violet's new big girl bedroom.

IMG_8284
A quilt for her to snuggle up with on the couch this fall and winter when it gets cold.

IMG_8190

IMG_8353
At least two quilts for her little brother arriving in a couple of weeks and a quilt (it's a surprise) for someone I felt needs something special to remind them how much they're loved sooooooo I took some time to get those things finished or at least off to the machine quilter. Needless to say, when I take time to do that everything else kind of comes to a screeching halt.

I have four blocks for you today so let's get started -

1857 quilt block 32

Block 32

IMG_8383

IMG_8385

IMG_8386 This block was made my Mrs. L Ackerman and I really look forward to stitching this one. It should go pretty quickly and I want to find the perfect yellow for those lemons!

1857 quilt block 33

Block 33

IMG_8391
I didn't have the quilt or this picture with me when I was drafting the block so my embroidery design for the basket doesn't match the original quilt - insert my sad face πŸ™

IMG_8394

IMG_8392

IMG_8393
This block was made my M Gowdey. I feel she was quite an affluent quilter as she had a stamp made to use on the album blocks she made for quilts. Most basket blocks of this style are pieced but this one is appliqued in two pieces. It was adorned with black thread embroidery on the basket, base and handle making it a more complex block than it seems at first glance.

1857 album quilt block 34

Block 34

IMG_8387

IMG_8388

IMG_8389 This block was made by LB and is one of my favorites. It's got it all! Berries, flowers and interesting little details.

1857 album quilt block 35

Block 35

IMG_8396

IMG_8397

IMG_8398
This block was made by Anna Kerrington (or Kenington) and is your easy block for this month. I like the sweet little chainstitch embroidery details Anna added to the stem and leaves of her block.

Laura's mother, Hannah Ackerman

Now for something special!!! One of our fellow quilters, Niki Armacost has done some fantastic research on Laura and her family. I decided it deserved it's very own page on the web site so you could refer to it whenever you want. Not only did Niki find volumes of information on the Ackerman family, their relatives and friends but she was able to find a direct link between the 1857 Album Quilt and the Houseman Quilt. I encourage you to get yourself a cup of coffee or tea and spend some time going over the Genealogy page. It will bring a whole new meaning to the quilt and probably leave you with some of the same questions I have. One of them, how in the world did a quilt of this significance end up in my care?!?!
I don't know how to thank Niki for all her time and hard work in finding the historical documents she did. I would never have been able to do what she has done. Niki, your contributions to the history of the quilt are amazing and there aren't words to express my gratitude to you for all you've done.

Holiday Wishes

New Hexagon Calendar C147
Elaine was the winner of September's anniversary prize (Holiday Wishes book). This month's prize is a a copy of the 2017 New Hexagon Calendar. Leave a comment on this post before the 20th of the month to be included in the drawing.

The 1857 Album Quilt - Block Set 10

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

This post was written by who has written 480 posts on Sentimental Stitches.

18 Responses to “1857 Album Quilt – Blocks 32 – 33 – 34 – 35”

1. Shasta October 1, 2016 at 4:50 pm #

Thank you for another set of beautiful blocks. I really enjoy genealogy as well as quilting, so I am off to learn about Laura’s history!

2. MaryC October 1, 2016 at 8:37 pm #

So… we begin the ‘second half’ of the quilt blocks this month, right? πŸ™‚ I’m behind, but, getting closer. I don’t expect to be toooo delinquent. I’m learning a LOT – but – that was my ‘plan’ by deciding to do this project –

3. Maarit October 2, 2016 at 5:11 am #

Thank you for very nice blocks. I love hexagons <3

4. Sandi October 2, 2016 at 11:56 am #

I love lemon! What a delightful block, I may have to make a little pillow of it. I may reduce it and do it in wool along with one in cottons!

I love all four of these blocks. Better late than never right!

5. Diane October 3, 2016 at 2:12 am #

Thank you for all the block patterns. The Hexagon Calendar looks very interesting!

6. Deb October 3, 2016 at 5:15 am #

Thank you so much for all your hard work and effort to provide us with such a fun project. Love your quilts – especially that pinwheel one. So glad you got to recharge and enjoy some stitching yourself.

7. Sheila Bayley October 3, 2016 at 7:58 am #

Thanks so much for the great patterns. I follow you here and the quilt on Facebook. This is going to be a stunning quilt.

8. Leanne October 3, 2016 at 1:36 pm #

wow that’s fantastic to have so much history ! and love your quilts and things – all so gorgeous !

9. Diane Rose October 3, 2016 at 3:59 pm #

Thanks for the great patterns and genealogy! Truly a labor of love!

10. Dot October 3, 2016 at 8:26 pm #

The link labeled “very own page”, which is above, doesn’t work. I get an error page. The other links to the Genealogy page and the Houseman page do work. πŸ™‚

11. Kathy October 6, 2016 at 1:22 pm #

Just found your site via Facebbok and enjoying the eye candy. Had no idea a hexagon calendar existed…how can I purchase one?

12. Terri Drake October 6, 2016 at 2:07 pm #

I love how you go all out to preserve these beautiful quilts by recreating the patterns and providing them to the world. These quilts definitely need to be remembered and not forgotten. Thank you for all the patterns, creativity and your talent that you share with us. Wishing you all the best and thank you for an opportunity to win the hexie book.

13. Amanda Best October 10, 2016 at 12:15 pm #

What lovely patterns this month! The lemons are wonderful, but I think my favorite is the one with the berries. That is great about Nikki doing so much work researching the history of the family surrounding this quilt. I always love when you can learn more about something as important as this quilt’s history!
    The new quilt and accessories for Violet are wonderful! The new quilts for her up coming baby brother are very cute, too!
    Thanks for all your hard work, I love your site and patterns.

14. Rhonda B October 11, 2016 at 4:30 pm #

All very interesting, and great blocks. Thank you.
    mtmom57@gmail.com

15. Mary Catherine VonJess October 18, 2016 at 10:01 am #

Love those Lemon and Pomegranate Blocks!
    And I would love to be a winner of the Calendar by Katja Marek, too!

Thanks for all you share! Enjoy your grandbabies!

16. Leslie Tidaback Hilmer October 28, 2016 at 8:04 am #

I am very excited to read all the new information about the quilt! No matter how it fell into your lap Gay it has been seen and shared by more people due to You! Thank you!

17. Pam November 3, 2016 at 8:07 pm #

Thank you Gay for all the detailed work you are providing for this charming old world quilt. The signatures are fascinating. I wonder what the maker was thinking while stitching it all those years ago? Thank you for sharing and for the opportunity to win a copy of Katja’s Perpetual Calendar 2017. Patchwork centuries apart, then & now. Wow, how far it has taken us!

18. Cheri Pickett December 1, 2016 at 9:14 pm #