Dear Daughter Block of the Month

Welcome to my next block of the month quilt along. The quilt is called Dear Daughter.

It's no secret how much I adore antique quilts. It's also no secret I have a habit of adopting quilts that are very time worn and no longer able to be used or displayed. Sometimes it's the fault of the harsh fabric dyes used many years ago and sometimes it's because a quilt was loved to pieces. The damage to Dear Daughter is clearly evident in the red print fabric in the sashing so I'm blaming the fabric dye.

This is one of the pictures I saw before the adoption. It looks pretty raggy and I can tell you, the colors do not reflect the actual fabrics. The double blue in the sashing is an amazing print. Not only because of it's design but because of the color. I'm going to look for something like it for my own quilt.

Here's a close up of the sashing fabric. The blue flowers in the red print are more of a teal blue while the blue print is a true double blue.

I wasn't able to read any of the names, dates or inscriptions inked on the blocks before buying it but did know the quilt was made in the 1850s.

Each of the 42 blocks is signed in ink using elegant script. Most are dated with either 1850 or 1852 and many have beautiful sentiments written for the recipients. Based on those writings, the quilt was made for Maxon and Sarah Dunham. There are blocks from Illinois, Wisconsin and New Jersey. I don't have much time right now to research the familiar links to the makers of the blocks so I've tried to stay away from Ancestry.com as I usually find myself down a rabbit hole for hours intrigued by what I uncover. I'll be posting as much information as I can with each set of blocks and you can go from there.

Some of the blocks are of unusual and simple design but the makers used broderie perse in many areas. Keep this in mind when selecting your own fabrics.

Single flower circles

Leaf clusters

Even a green leafy print was fussy cut - how cute!

I found it very interesting that the blocks made in New Jersey used mostly red and green prints while the blocks made in the midwest (Illinois and Wisconsin) used mostly blue and softer color fabrics, some pink and a more blue shade of red. It shows how your surroundings and the quilters within your circle of family and friends influence your style.

You'll be getting patterns in a slightly different way this time. It's not difficult and I'll have easy to follow instructions to explain everything. There will always be a link from here to the patterns when they're posted each month.  I'm aiming for a start date during the first full week of March. Block sets will be posted on the first of the month starting in April. There are 42 blocks in the quilt so we'll finish up in December with the last two blocks. I'm going to post them in order beginning in the upper left corner of the quilt. The sashing instruction will be posted with the first set of blocks so you can sash them together as we go along if you want.

If you'd like to join the Dear Daughter Facebook Group to share your progress, get ideas and questions answered I encourage you to join. We have great fun working together in these groups. To join - CLICK HERE  to get to the group page and click on the "Join Group" button.

I think that's it for today. As always, email me if you have any questions. There's a link in the sidebar.

Dear Daughter Materials List

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

This post was written by who has written 488 posts on Sentimental Stitches.

14 Responses to “Dear Daughter Block of the Month”

1. Cindy February 25, 2018 at 5:52 pm #

I wish there was someway to get that old look from new fabrics.

2. Gay February 25, 2018 at 6:03 pm #

The blocks will be fine using scrap pieces of reproduction prints. It’s the sashing fabrics that concern me. I’m going to check out a couple of double blue repros I’ve heard about. This one by Christopher Tate for Moda might be a good one –
    I’m still looking for the perfect red………..

3. Nyla Dominguez February 25, 2018 at 6:59 pm #

Hi Gay, the blues in that Christopher Tate fabric are beautiful but I’d like to find something other than paisley. I hope you will continue to share any fabrics for the sashing that you think are good candidates. The sashing really enhances this quilt and I’d love to find something wonderful! Thanks so much for this block of the month and sharing this delightful quilt!

4. Gay February 26, 2018 at 5:23 am #

I’d be happy to share the information about anything I find.

5. Carolyn Black February 26, 2018 at 4:07 pm #

Have you looked on reproductionfabrics.com? They have some very interesting fabrics, especially the William Morris collection.

6. LoriD February 27, 2018 at 2:12 pm #

Amazing quilt Gay!

7. Donna Smith March 1, 2018 at 3:37 pm #

I know exactly what fabric will be my background. Will start looking for the rest today 🤗

8. Nyla Dominguez March 1, 2018 at 8:18 pm #

Donna Smith, I would love to know what you will be using for your background.

9. Edith Stein March 2, 2018 at 8:05 pm #

These are some of my choices for the sashing. I already have 2 blue and white quilts even if I’m leaning towards blue. I just may do a red this time since I don’t have one yet. Below are some reds and blues I am considering, all from Connecting Threads.

10. debbie mcfatridge March 7, 2018 at 7:18 am #

Do i need to sign up for the Dear Daughter Block of the month patterns, and will you send a picture with each block patterns for colors in the quilt you have
    this is a beautiful looking quilt hoping i can find the blue in the sashing also.
    Thank you for offering this to all of us, Debbie

11. Gay March 7, 2018 at 1:23 pm #

You don’t need to sign up for the block of the month. I’ll post a link from the blog to the web site where you can get the patterns each month. The patterns do come with a color picture for each block and I try to add as many enlarged pictures as I can in the monthly blog posts. There is a Dear Daughter Block of the Month group on Facebook if you’d like to join. It’s always fun to see how everyone’s quilt is coming together.

12. Dawn Kucera March 8, 2018 at 9:10 am #

It seems like we need to download Doc to PDF to get started?? is that right? Is this the only way to get to to the patterns?

Thanks,Dawn

13. Cheryl March 8, 2018 at 9:30 am #

Thank you – I love antique quilts also. I’m going to go for broke and make a quilt for each of my daughters. Here’s hoping.

14. Gay March 8, 2018 at 11:56 am #

You do need to download the patterns each month. It’s the only way they’re available. You can download them – HERE I’ll be doing a blog post each month talking about the blocks. I always post a link to get to the patterns from Sentimental Stitches.