The Embroidery Motifs of March

It's no secret I love embroidery. I've been doing it since I was 12 years old. I'm not saying I want to show you what my stitches looked like but I was sticking with it. I've heard from many of you how much you enjoy embroidery and redwork too so I decided to do something special for the month of March.

Vintage Sewing 003

Gather your embroidery floss, needle, fabric and a hoop. Tell your friends!

There will be a free embroidery design for you to download each day during the month of March. They will be in various sizes and won't follow any specific theme but some of them I will be using in a new quilt. Look for Katinka (my chubby little friend) to appear in color on the pattern page and you'll know that pattern will be part of the quilt.

Each design will be available for one day and then a new one will be posted. I'll give everyone a few extra days the first week to get in the habit of stopping by to get your pattern. After that, if you miss a day you'll be able to purchase past designs in groups of six for $3.00 in the online store.
Here's the first motif -

Motifs of March Blocks 1

March Block 1

Motifs of March Block 2

March Block 2

This post was written by who has written 526 posts on Sentimental Stitches.

11 Responses to “The Embroidery Motifs of March”

1. Kristi Van Os March 1, 2008 at 2:09 pm #

Thanks so much! I’ll be checkng in for sure each day for the new design.

2. Sheila March 1, 2008 at 5:37 pm #

This is going to be fun. I found you from our dj list. Thanks. Sheila

3. Janice Gabrielson March 1, 2008 at 8:03 pm #

I love this pattern. thank you for doing this. Love the Midget Blocks too. so many projects, so little time, LOL Janice

4. Barbara Moffitt March 2, 2008 at 7:33 am #

Just wanted to say thank you for all you do for needleart ladies. I do all the needlearts, but love quilting and handwork, and as a senior citizen on SS I really appreciate all you designers who so lovingly share your work free on line.
    Thanks,
    Barb in WNC

5. Kathie WIttstock March 3, 2008 at 1:07 am #

Hi Gay,

Love your Jane’s Redwork blocks and the Motifs of March. I am looking forward to doing a redwork quilt in the near future. Thank you for being so generous by offerning these lovely blocks on your website.

Kathie W.

6. Barbara Moffitt March 3, 2008 at 2:17 pm #

It is 4:15PM on March 3rd, and I do not find the redwork design for today up, I don’t want to miss one, so I wondered if you could let me know what time of day is best to look for the design of the day. I normally do not go on line at night.
    Thanks so much for all you do for needleart people, I love your site, am doing the mini quilt blocks as well as Jane’s Redwork.
    Barb in WNC

7. Charlene March 3, 2008 at 9:42 pm #

I just checked for the March 3rd redwork design (it’s 10:40 PM Central) and still no design for today. Is it already gone?

8. Hazel March 4, 2008 at 12:16 pm #

I also can’t get any further motifs other than #1 and #2 .I was so looking forward to the designs .

9. Freda Price March 4, 2008 at 6:43 pm #

I’ve been checking everyday for the next
    embroidery and nothing has shown up since #2.
    Have I missed it or do you have a problem
    which I certainly hope not. Really excited
    about getting back to stitching, thank you!!

10. denise March 7, 2008 at 3:43 am #

Hi ! Thanks for the wonderful work. It has saved me.Cheers

11. Wanetha March 7, 2008 at 3:49 pm #

I want to thank you for your “gifts” of free patterns.
    I have been checking daily on the Month of March patterns. How am I missing block 6? On checking the site the numbers jump from 5 to 7. Is block hidden?

Don’t want to miss any!