Applique in May

It's hard to believe it's been over two weeks since I've posted but a lot of things have been sucking up my time.

It was a frustrating experience getting the internet service back online at the cottage. They kept trying to tell me it was our equipment and I kept trying to tell them it wasn't. In the end, it was theirs! Once that was taken care of, I lost the internet service at the store. I really couldn't complain since I was tapping in on an unsecured network at the hotel next door.

00 059

We've also had another tree come down during a thunderstorm. This one on a Friday evening and landing across the driveway. It was a big monster and I had to work the next morning so there was a little panic in trying to fine someone on a Friday night to come over and cut up the tree. All ended well that night and I was able to get to work Saturday morning.

My grandmother passed away the following Thursday. She was 103. I was close to her growing up. We had lunch at Herpolsheimer's Tea Room almost every Saturday and then went shopping. She was always ready to lend a hand. Scrubbing my first house from top to bottom and peeling apples every year when I froze applesauce, corn, green beans or whatever. She bought my china when I got married and lent money to our struggling young family when our furnace needed to be replaced and we were still paying hospital bills from the birth of our son. It was difficult being in Traverse City with all of the funeral arrangements in Grand Rapids.

I drove home on the first to take my Mom to the doctor for a physical and check up for me. Seems like she fared better than I did. No tests lined up for her but I've got a blood test on Monday and then a chest x-ray and MRI in the next week or so. I'll have to come back to Grand Rapids for that but guess it's time to really find out why my arm keeps going numb. It makes it tough to even brush your teeth not to mention stitching.

907 175

Sally Post Sampler Block 4
RETIRED

Now for happier things - today is my 30th wedding anniversary and as I said in the newsletter I hope everyone received, I thought it would be fun to have 30 days of applique in honor of the anniversary. We can all get a jump on the blocks for the Sally Post Floral Sampler quilt. They are small enough to make a great hand project for the summer. I've seen some of your blocks and they are so beautiful! I'm going to get working on the gallery so they can be shared with everyone. It's wonderful inspiration. If anyone has pictures of projects from the site they'd like to share, please email them to me. I'll get them online.

There will be one block from the quilt each day for the next 30 days. I'll leave each one up for 24 hours because we're working with so many time zones. I'll allow some extra time for the first two posted so everyone has time to get in the routine of visiting the site to pick up their pattern. Each day on the front page of the web site within that day's post you'll see a picture of the block for that day. Click on the block name under the picture and the pattern file will open for you to print or save.

I'm back on the road tomorrow to Traverse City and Rob celebrates his birthday. How many people can say they were born on 5-5-55?
I've lots more to share but everyone is outside enjoying the weather without me so it'll have to wait.

This post was written by who has written 526 posts on Sentimental Stitches.

9 Responses to “Applique in May”

1. Wanetha May 4, 2008 at 12:55 pm #

Gayle,

CONGRATULATIONS ON 30 (I hope wonderful) YEARS!!!!
    We just celebrated our 46th last month. I was sooooo young when we married. VBG

So glad you are back with us, and hopeful that life will be a little “simpler” for you this spring and summer. Take time to “smell the roses” (or to fondle the fabric ones) lol.

take care,
    Wanetha

2. Cindi in Michigan May 5, 2008 at 2:24 am #

Congratulations on your Anniversary! I’m also very sorry to hear about your grandmother. She’ll be watching over you up in heaven. Glad you’re back, we’ve missed you! Sounds like maybe a vacation is called for? Maybe a trip for your anniversary?? It would be good for you to unwind after so many things happening!!

Cindi

3. Penny May 5, 2008 at 1:55 pm #

Thanks for the patterns – just want to let you know that I’m still not receiving your newsletter for some reason. I check your website often so maybe I won’t miss anything important. I love all your patterns! Thanks and HAPPY ANNIVERSARY and HAPPY BIRTHDAY to Rob.

4. Chantal May 6, 2008 at 7:29 am #

I am a french quilter living near Paris.

I love your patterns, but I cannot download block 4…Would you mind sending it to my mail address ??

Thank you very much !

5. penny carruthers May 6, 2008 at 11:24 am #

just today may 6 received newsletter about sally post 30 day quilt block. I cannot pick up block 4. can someone e-mail me please penny.carruthers@sympatico.ca. Thanks

6. Gladys May 10, 2008 at 11:29 pm #

I did sign up twice for your newsletter but still have not received it, therefore; I missed the announcement of your 30 day applique for the Sally Post quilt.

Can someone please send blocks 4 through 9 to me at JaniacQuilter@aol.com
    I really wanted to make this quilt. Thank you kindly.
    gladys

7. Joan Oldham May 24, 2008 at 6:00 pm #

I too have signed up for the newsletter and haven’t received it. I had been going on line and getting the patterns. Will the Sally Post patterns be available as I missed the start of the daily patterns. I love your site and usually visit at least once a week but with my son’s graduation and travel, I missed the daily thing.

JOan

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Sentimental Stitches » Blog Archive » Flower Mix - May 8, 2008

[…] Some of you have asked why Blocks 1, 2 and 3 are still available when 4, 5, etc. are not. I decided to leave those first three blocks on the Sally Post Floral Sampler Block of the Month page because they were already there before I started the Applique in May celebration and thought they would be a nice bonus for someone who’s just starting to collect blocks. […]

2. Sentimental Stitches » Blog Archive » Applique in May Signature Block - June 5, 2008

[…] Here we are with the most important block in the Sally Post Floral Sampler quilt. It’s the signature block. I am so thankful Sally took the time to intricately cross stitch her name, age and date on this block. It gives us so much to think about. What was life like in 1854? I’m sure she was an experienced quilter at age 63. It appears as if fabrics were purchased with this quilt in mind. How much did fabric cost in 1854? Was it readily available? Maybe not if red prints had to be substituted. I think I’ll do a little more research. I’m not ready to close the book on our Applique in May quilt. […]