Applique in May – Roses and Buds

Today's block reminds me of a wild rose in full bloom with a little bud off to the side. We're a long way from seeing the wild roses here in Michigan but before long I'll have beautiful pink ones along the shoreline. They've been there since I was a little girl. I sometimes wonder how they survive but they're there year after year without fail.

Another gloomy day but I'm working on a block for charity quilts at a local quilt shop. We were challenged to use the Cherry Baby fabric line from Lakehouse. Did I piece a simple star? No, not me, I'm doing hand applique and today's the deadline. I'll take a picture of the block for you before I turn it in. The block is from a new pattern I'm working on.

I hope you have a great day and here's Block 7

907 166

Sally Post Floral Sampler Block 7
RETIRED

I'm starting to retire blocks today except Block 4 which had some problems yesterday so if a link doesn't work, you'll know why.

This post was written by who has written 528 posts on Sentimental Stitches.

8 Responses to “Applique in May – Roses and Buds”

1. Denise Edwards May 7, 2008 at 6:28 am #

THANKS

2. Penny from Canada May 7, 2008 at 8:39 am #

Helllo Gayle!!
    I have loved wild roses since I was a child when the only flowers we had in the summer were the beautiful wild roses that blanket BC and are the provincal flower of Alberta. Families back then rarely had the money to plant domestic flowers so we wait patiently for mother nature to bring forth flowers of her own…..this quilt takes me back to a quieter, simpler time and I thank you so much for it…..

3. Penny from Canada May 7, 2008 at 9:25 am #

I’m sorry Gayle, I just had the time to read all the comments on this page[busy week]!!! Happy Aniversary to you and Rob and Happy birthday wishes to your hubby as well!!! My hubby and I are coming up on our 36th the end of next month[where did the time go?] I hope you are as blessed in your marriage as I have been in mine!! My hubby found a singer featherweight for an early Mother’s day gift this weekend and comes to your site every evening[there is a note on the monitor so I don’t forget] to make sure I have my “sally post” fix for the day….what would I do without him?
    A foot note…..TA DA!! My State fair quilt top was finished on monday[I have added an extra border of “fern” batik to the outside of the saw tooth one [12 inches wide] to make it fit a queen size bed] I took it to my quilt group[we did the state fair together] for show and tell yesterday and today it is going on the quilt frame for my daughter’s birthday on may 19th so I will have to work hard as I want to do a pantograph pattern on that outside 12 inches and meander the inside[I can’t believe I am giving it away!!] it is a special gift because my daughter, her hubby and my 2 grandsons are moving across the country for the next 3 years[I am going to have to adopt grandchildren!!]….this quilt is a hug to send with her for her first time away from us….these are the smallest blocks I have ever done and has taken me 6 months so far….I finished the last of the “march madness” blocks a few weeks ago and last night finished the added “red work” blocks I found on the internet in order to make it quilt size…now I am ready to pick a joining block to go with it…..sally post will now be my evening project with the hubby listening to TV[do any of you actually “watch” TV?] and just in time too!!

4. bernadette May 8, 2008 at 5:31 am #

merci, c’est très joli et je pense le faire

5. Sandra Street May 8, 2008 at 11:03 am #

Please help! I managed to download the first 6 blocks….then yesterday I could not find block 7 to save me…..then today i find it….only to discover it has been ‘retired’???? And I cannot locate a block 8 for today, either. This is a bit frustrating….sure hope you can help!
    Please tell me ‘where’ the new daily block will be so we can go download it.
    Thankyou ever so much….I really like this quilt…and its so generous of you to share the pattern with us.
    Blessings~
    Sandy

6. Virginia May 9, 2008 at 2:57 pm #

I love the Sally Post Floral Sampler
    My husband who has been on hospice for a year got worse and I missed all but the first three blocks

7. Annemie Rook May 9, 2008 at 4:39 pm #

Hello Gayle,

Help here too! I collect these patterns because I think they are beautiful but now I missed the numbers 7 and 8! Why are they retired so quickly? Can you send me the missing patterns please?

Sincerely,
    Annemie Rook 🙂

8. debbie May 14, 2008 at 5:13 pm #

I too missed some blocks – I was out of town with no internet service at my daughter’s (Mothers Day weekend) Will you post them at a later date? Thank you. Debbie