Crash – Bang – What a Chicken

How's the title of this post for making you wonder if I've lost my mind? I'm more than a little tired this morning after a terrible night in the woods. I don't like things I can't explain so when Clutch and I got back from Grand Rapids on Tuesday night to find the lamp in the bedroom broken and dangling by a cord I was a little puzzled. I went to bed early last night tired from the trip to GR and a slightly stressful day at work having half of the lights in the store blow out. At 1:30am I heard a loud crash, bang, bang and Clutch went into a barking frenzy. I froze like a pillar of salt in bed for about 30 seconds leaving brave little Clutch to fight the unknown. I finally summoned up some courage and ventured out from the bedroom to find a little shelf had fallen off the wall in the kitchen. Now how does that happen? Nothing on the shelf was broken but my partially filled Lampe Berger was dangling upside down still dripping it's scented oil all over a wood cutting board on top of the microwave and flowing onto the counter. I can't begin to tell you what it's like to clean up scented oil in the middle of the night. Looking at it again this morning, I still can't figure out how it fell. Both nails are in the wall right where they should be. Nothing heavy on the shelf. I just don't know. For now I'll have to add it to life's little mysteries.

907 182-1

Sally Post Floral Sampler Block 29
RETIRED

This post was written by who has written 525 posts on Sentimental Stitches.

6 Responses to “Crash – Bang – What a Chicken”

1. martha May 29, 2008 at 8:05 am #

I had a shelf jump off the wall when I was in labor with my son-woke me up just i time to get to the hospital! Maybe you are giving birth to a great idea!

2. Caron Mosey May 29, 2008 at 9:24 am #

Maybe it’s a ghost…

BOO!

3. Penny from Canada May 29, 2008 at 9:49 am #

Hi Gayle,
    Martha you are a funny gal!! Sounds like my house on a busy night! It usually involves the cat
    [Panther]and a mouse he brings in during the day, let go in the house to amuse himself later!![only females kill and eat mice,[in my opinion] the males just like to play with them….sounds familar] We have not had a cat [except briefly when we were first married] so since we rescued Panther there has been many hours of amusement at our house. One afternoon in the middle of a luncheon I was giving a garter snake crawled across my living room and had everyone but me on a chair….Panther was very pleased with himself….that was the longest suffering snake because he visited 3 times that summer without getting hurt???hummmm Gayle, I hope the shelf crasher doesn’t have fur???? hummmmm

4. Nola May 29, 2008 at 10:09 am #

Probably a ghost! We’ve had similar things happen – more at my Mom’s home than at mine. a plate that fell off the wall (hung by a nylon cord that looked as if it had been cut with a knife, not frayed as nylon would normally be – and 3 days later my grandmother died!), cupboard doors that are opened mysteriously, a hall door that jiggles when there is nothing to cause it – no breeze from open windows, furnace not running, etc.

The nice thing is, while it’s rather spooky, it’s nothing at all to be afraid of. Keep an eye on Clutch and see how he behaves. When weird things would happen at our house, our Beagle would race around the house staring at the ceiling as if she could see something up there that was invisible to us.

5. Terri Drake Alpena, MI May 29, 2008 at 12:45 pm #

My, my Ms. Gayle, you certainly DO have your adventures :D. I can well understand your puzzlement, however. Remember when I lived in a log home in Nevada and was awakened by a crash, bang, thump and couldn’t find out what it was. It wasn’t until I turned out the light in the bedroom to go back to bed that I discovered what it was when it grabbed a handful or should I say clawful of hair when it perched on my head – a bat! I chased it into the living room where I ended up getting my rifle filled with .22 birdshot and shooting it out of the eaves of the house (I had 30 ft ceilings). Needless to say, I wasn’t very happy about playing Annie Oakley in my own home, nor was I happy about having a bat awaken me at zero dark thirty in the morning. Ahhhh, life in the old west. :). Thanks for the memories AND for the chuckle.

I’m bettin it was a little furry mouse doing a little prowling or you may have let in a raccoon during a late night return to the cottage. Keep your eyes open for critter tracks. Better yet, ask Clutch if he’s been entertaining while you’re at work.

6. Amie May 30, 2008 at 5:52 am #

Hello, I found your blog a while back and bookmarked it. I thought you were going on a vacation and doing a mystery quilt when you got back but I look everyday and can’t find it. It’s Amish something. Where is it? Thankyou, Amie :o)