Applique in May – Make Up Day

We are coming to the end of our Applique in May series of blocks from the Sally Post Floral Sampler. Each day when I post the pattern I am amazed at how beautiful such simple blocks can be. Imagine them in batiks - 1930s solids - hand dyes - even Kaffe Fasset would be fun. I might just make a block in each one of them!

I know how life can get in the way of checking in each day to print your pattern. Just look what's happened to me with the Amish Sampler Mystery quilt. I am still waiting for more background fabric so I can stitch the next block. I am beginning to think I should just do a pencil drawing so you can move forward on that quilt.

907 150

At any rate here's what we're going to do with the Sally Post Floral Sampler -
On June 7 all of the blocks will be available online for free. That's my birthday and I'm throwing myself a party. You're all invited so stop by and get all the blocks you may have missed. I'm going to celebrate for two days so you have until the morning of June 9 to check in. After that I'll go back to the block of the month format that's on the quilt's page. That way new quilter's can start the quilt and collect blocks on a regular basis. I know there will be someone who can't wait for each month to pass so the complete pattern will be in the online store for purchase.

907 185-1

Sally Post Floral Sampler Block 30
RETIRED

This post was written by who has written 526 posts on Sentimental Stitches.

14 Responses to “Applique in May – Make Up Day”

1. Luise May 30, 2008 at 6:26 am #

Hi Gayle, I like this simple nice flowerpattern so much, thank you for sharing them with us!!

Is ist possible for you to take some more pictures of the whole Sally-Post-Quilt, or some bigger sections? That would be so great!

The fabric for the blocks is here, just waiting to be applicated and sewn together.

Greets Luise

2. Melanie May 30, 2008 at 6:49 am #

Thank you so much for providing a make up day to get the ones we’ve missed! This quilt is awesome! It really will be a beautiful one! Now I just need to figure out what fabric to use. Thanks again for sharing this with us!

3. Karen Wright in S.W. Ohio May 30, 2008 at 8:28 am #

Gayle,
    I agree with Melanie, that you have given us a birthday present too by allowing us the extra time to get the entire set of applique patterns. I missed some while I was out of town and thought I would have to buy the entire pattern or just make do with the block I have. You have made my day!
    Thank you.

4. Janice May 30, 2008 at 8:41 am #

Thank for inviting us all to your birthday party.
    My printer had run out of ink and I had to stop. But now, I can come to your party and receive more as the ink is back in the computer. Thank you so much. And HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! (just a little early)
    Jan in Pa.

5. Penny from Canada May 30, 2008 at 9:05 am #

Hello Gayle,
    I can’t wait to do this block!! I have a “love of the simple”. This one reminds me of the single flowers in the march madness redwork series. I love it!! I finished block 2 last night and will get block 3 ready to stitch today. Thank you so much for sharing Sally Post with us Gayle, you are a gem. I haven’t missed any yet[what can I say about one track minds??] but I am so glad those with busy lives, inkless printers and all those other “oops” that keep us from our passion with quilts will be able to pick those blocks up on June 7th….I should have known you were a gemini[me to] Gemini’s are very creative, sharing people and being one I should have reconized that in you!!However you are truly a “twin”!! how else could you work,keep all of us busy, change houses every spring, go to retreats and find time to quilt yourself??? There has to be two of you and bless you both….lol!!!

6. Patty Ojeda May 30, 2008 at 10:21 am #

Thank you so much! I love this quilt, it is beautiful in its’ simplicity. You are wonderful to share your birthday with us. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU! And thank you for giving us all a birthday present to share. Now I need to decide what colors to use and get busy!

7. Debra Anger May 30, 2008 at 12:49 pm #

An Early Happy Birthday Gayle.. my mother’s is on the 10th of June.. so I am well aware of how Gemini’s love parties.. I hope you have a great one! You have made the Month of May a wonderful time..
    I loved to race home to read your entry and also to save your blocks. I have my fabric all picked out for this quilt and will be starting it as of the Middle of June (other deadlines) but I will be posting each block I get done on my blog.. I love this quilt, the look the patterns and I really want this one for me.. thanks again for your generosity.. great appreciated.

Deb

8. Chris May 30, 2008 at 3:22 pm #

Hi Gayle, Thank you so much for sharing this treasure,I discovered your site only mid May and so have missed quite a few blocks.I’m so glad I’ll be able to get the rest, I went ahead and stitched block 1 and 2, they are gorgeous. I,m sure your birthday will be fabulous,such giving is always given back. SS is now top of my favourites and I look forward to creating more tributes to the women who came before.Thanks again.Chris in Melbourne, Aust.

9. Kristi Van Os May 30, 2008 at 4:08 pm #

Gayle – Thanks so much for the Birthday present! I was on vacation and didn’t get to start the block a day in May until it was to late. You just made my day.

10. JudiK May 31, 2008 at 8:57 pm #

Thank you so much for letting us grab the ones we missed. My Darn ISP is crazzzzzy. I had 6 guys in my back yard yesterday.They replace all of my phone lines. and even replace the ones in my house. and hooks something to my line.. and it showed it wasnt working.. YET i was online reading emails..lol SO they now say its in the office or in another line before mine. they wrote up another work Order.
    HAPPY B-day to you Many more to come.
    I cant wait till your next BOM.
    Hope it has butterflies in it.
    or lighthouses
    Take Care

11. Denise Edwards June 5, 2008 at 2:16 pm #

What else can one say? You truly are a “Kinsred Spirit”
    Happy birthday. Denise

12. Denise Edwards June 5, 2008 at 2:17 pm #

LOL That was to read “Kinred Spirit”

13. RL June 7, 2008 at 10:53 am #

I have wandered about your site several times this morning for the Sally Post patterns you have stated above would be available today, June 7-9, 2008 and I can not locate them anywhere. Is there some secret password I need to share in your Birthday Party? I am at a complete loss.
    Many happy returns of the day anyway.

14. Monecha Painter June 8, 2008 at 12:08 am #

I have searched all over the site for the Sally Post blocks. I wanted to pick up the ones I have missed. I just cannot find them which may be my own stupidity. Please help an old lady find these precious blocks.

Thank you so much for the wonderful patterns you share with us.

Hugs,