Polka Dot Garden Quilts Update

I hope you're having a wonderful day. It was 80 degrees here yesterday and today it's in the 50s. That's Michigan!

I've been playing with fabric and thought I'd share with you my final choices for at least 3 of the Polka Dot Garden projects. They have all been designed to as

C-J-L-T-S quilts;
Charming Jelly Roll Layer Cakes to Turnover your Stash.

If you haven't heard about Turnover's yet there's a nice review at QuiltersBuzz. There are new Sweet Rolls and theStrip-It fabric too.

The Turnover's are 6" squares cut in half diagonally.

Sweet Rolls are 1 1/2" wide strips just like Jelly Rolls but narrower.
The pastry collections are from Moda but the Strip-It fabric shown below is from Marcus Brothers. They are coordinated fabrics printed in 2 1/2" wide strips.

The possibilities are endless and what a time saver. They've even done some in flannel. I can't wait to get touchy feely with this new stuff.

This is my palette for the applique Polka Dot Garden Quilt. The colors are bright, funky and mostly polka dots. I'm trying to use as many fabrics with polka dots on them as I can. It doesn't have to be only polka dots but there has to be a visible dot within the pattern. And yes, I'm tossing in that black dot just for fun!

These are some of my fabrics for Bless My Bloomers. Here again they're all coordinated scraps. Blend the fabrics together, choose floss or pearl cotton for stitchery and you can't go wrong.

These fabrics are for Little Flowers in the Big Garden. Most of these are reproduction prints from the 1930s and I'm adding some cute rick rack, buttons and lace. Guaranteed to make you smile.

The only large pieces of fabric you'd need is if you want your background to be the same throughout the quilts. It's not necessary. Just pick up (or pull from your stash) fat quarters that blend with your other fabrics. Cut as many blocks as you can from one and move on!

This post was written by who has written 532 posts on Sentimental Stitches.

8 Responses to “Polka Dot Garden Quilts Update”

1. patty October 14, 2008 at 8:52 pm #

I can’t wait to get started on this project. I feel like a little kid waiting for Christmas!

2. Myra October 15, 2008 at 7:25 am #

OoooohWeeee! Me too,Patty! My stash had better look out, it won’t know what hit it! (hee-hee!)

3. Kristi Van Os October 15, 2008 at 12:00 pm #

I agree with both of you! It looks to be a stash busting good time.

4. Debbie kelly October 16, 2008 at 9:00 pm #

Gayle, love the selection,I feel my stash growing. Of course I will love the gardens, as I love all your patterns. I love the pincushion, Shes great.Thanks for your great site!!!! I have you listed on my favorites on my blog …..Deb

5. Rickie October 19, 2008 at 4:28 pm #

Please add me to the newsletter list so I’ll know when Polka Dot Garden Quilt is ready to go. I am excited about your newest project. I loved Nancy Page’s Magic Vine and eagerly awaited each installment.

6. Gigi in Bentonville October 29, 2008 at 2:11 pm #

I LOVE the Trick or Treat Kids!!!

Thank you!!!!

Gigi

7. Joan January 3, 2009 at 6:52 am #

Again, am I missing a link here? I cannot find the Polka Dot Garden patterns and the link just takes me back to something else.

8. Lexie January 10, 2009 at 12:09 pm #

Hi Gayle,
    Happy New Year to you. I know you are a very busy lady and I love every pattern you have given to us. I was just wondering when you might be starting the Polka Dot quilt? I have been buying a few polka dot fabrics and just cant wait to see what the quilt might look like.
    Thanks again for all you do for us. People like you make the world a better place.

Lexie