So Sew Easy Schlep Bag – Part 7

I'm sorry it took me until Tuesday to get back to this tutorial but I had a feeling that would happen. I'm pretty sure you were able to finish your bag following the instructions in the pattern but I'm going to add a few more steps here just in case.

Turn the outer bag right side out.

Find the center point of the four triangles on top edge of bag.

Mark the center point with a pin on each triangle.

Center the ends of the straps, right sides together, on top of marked center points on triangles. Pin in place securely.

Baste in place 3/8" from raw edge.

Put outer bag (with right side out) inside the lining (which is wrong side out).

Pin around the top edge matching side seams on lining with intersecting seams of triangles on outer bag.

Sew around the top of the bag 1/2" from raw edge. I usually double stitch this seam for added strength at the handles.

Turn bag right side out through the opening in side seam of lining.

Push lining down inside of outer bag and press the seam.

Topstitch around top edge of bag.

Blind stitch the opening in lining side seam closed.

Enjoy your new So Sew Easy Bag!

There aren't pictures for those last few steps yet. The last couple of seams are pretty easy and it gives me the opportunity to finish one of the first Twists for you. I'm going to add pockets to the inside of the single fabric lining. I'll take some finishing pictures as I sew.

This post was written by who has written 532 posts on Sentimental Stitches.

9 Responses to “So Sew Easy Schlep Bag – Part 7”

1. Peggy June 10, 2009 at 5:14 pm #

I made one of the schlep bags today and I love it. I’ve wanted to make one for so long, but couldn’t quite figure it out until you broke it down for us. I also put rows of pockets along the inside and divided them into three pockets on each side. Thank you so much for your time and effort.

2. roccagal June 15, 2009 at 8:44 pm #

-you are just amazing-I have only very recently discovered quilt blogs and yours is the most informative! You are so creative and sooo generous, sharing all your patterns and taking all the time to do tutorials and post boms and patterns-where do you find the time and the energy?? all I can say is THANK YOU & WOW. Keep up the good work-S

3. Patricia Hogge June 20, 2009 at 5:52 am #

My Dear Fellow So Sew Easy Schlep Bag Lovers,

I just LOVE this Schlep Bag. I’ve been following the instructions for it for quite awhile now.

“Thank You” so very much for adding this Tutorial. It really helps me to understand your instructions so much better, since I am such a visual type of person. 🙂

I might have missed it somewhere in your Tutorial, but I noticed that you are using some sort of interfacing along with your two layers of fabric for the front & lining of the bag. Do you also use interfacing in your handles. I wonder if you could share the type of interfacing that you use. Would fusible batting works as well? I really like the soft cushy feel of batting sandwiched between two layers of fabric.

I’ll be watching for your answers & for the forthcoming “Twists” to this ABSOLUTELY ADORABLE Schlep Bag. 🙂

Warmest regards,
    Patricia in East Bremerton, WA

4. Carol Kuiken August 11, 2009 at 8:14 pm #

Thank you so much for the Schlep bag pattern. I have made it 42 times now. My favorite I should have taken a picture of – I used snippets and put flowers on the four dominant squares. I’ve given all but two of them away and everyone has thanked me for them. They are so much fun to make. I am currently a missionary in the Philippines. We were visiting all of our friends in the States and I gave the bags as my gift to our hosts.

Carol Kuiken, Manila Philippines

5. Elizabeth Rasmussen August 18, 2009 at 7:21 pm #

I really love this bag!! I wasn’t so sure how to do it at first, untill you broke it down for us in the steps. Thank-you so much for your great tutorial!! Now, that I’ve finshed my 8″ block size bag, I’ve cut out and am going to do smaller block sizes; thus the 6″ and maybe even the 4″. Thank-you. What would we do without the internet and such great web sites like yours!!
    Elizabeth R. Rasmussen,
    Blue Earth, Minnesota

6. Sharon January 4, 2010 at 8:33 am #

Where can I find the “twists” the website on another posting does not work?

7. Daphne January 31, 2018 at 11:31 am #

Wow! This is such a beautiful bag! I’m in the process of making one. I saw it completed at my local quilt supply shop yesterday and I couldn’t wait to get home to get started. Their version has batting between the two layers. Have you ever done this? Can you share the directions if you have? I’d love to hear from you, thank you, Daphne

8. Gay February 23, 2018 at 6:01 pm #

I’ve never made the bag with batting between the layers. It sounds like it would be a nice addition and give the bag stability. Have fun making your bag!

9. Gwen Stoker March 6, 2018 at 8:12 pm #

I’m finally getting around to making this bag after printing it out years ago. Thanks for the tutorial. I probably would have never finished it without it.