I’m A Quilter But I Knit Too!

Today was the day! I got my phone call from Wool and Honey in Cedar. The yarn had come in for the awesome shawl I'd seen while I was on the Amazing Quilt Race Shop Hop.
I threw on my cha cha sundress, tossed some makeup at my face and was out the door.

Here it is! It's soft and drapes beautifully over your shoulders. You can't see the ends in this pictures but it's large enough to wear around your neck in several different ways.

It's an easy knit which is good for a quilter but the yarn, the yarn..........it's hand dyed in great blends of color and I found out today Wool and Honey is one of only five shops in North America who carry this yarn.

I chose a dusty turquoise that goes to a soft yellow green and then to something between olive and army green. The colors are unique.
There's more - it takes just one skein to knit the shawl. The yarn is only $24 and they'll tell you where to get the pattern for free online! Can you tell I'm excited about this one?

I also treated myself to a set of stitch markers made from Michigan stones. The missing set is my chosen Petoskey stones. They are beautiful.

I didn't miss this new scarf that just went on display. While the shawl will be something I can wear all year round, this scarf is a must have for winter.

It's knit with worsted weight yarn, soft and cuddly. I bought the pattern but resisted temptation to get yarn until I finish my shawl.

There isn't online ordering from Wool and Honey but if you call Melissa she'd be happy to ship things to you. The phone number to the shop is 231-228-2800.

I saw some great handcrafted jewelry and yarn that looks good enough to eat. The yarn for the shawl is a color changing cotton. The color I bought is called "Willow Sky".

I've had these Kaffe Fassett brick blocks spread out all over the floor for two days. I better get them sewn together. It's almost block of the month time!

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

This post was written by who has written 529 posts on Sentimental Stitches.

8 Responses to “I’m A Quilter But I Knit Too!”

1. Kim August 31, 2010 at 3:14 pm #

But who makes the yarn? What weight is it? Inquiring minds want to know…
    😉

2. Faye August 31, 2010 at 5:49 pm #

Oh! I can’t tell you how tempted I am to call her and order up some of that yarn for that shawl. It is beautiful. I know for sure if I was up there, I would buy something. I love that shop and I don’t think I have ever left there empty handed. Wish I could get a closer look at all the other colors and see their gradation. Can’t wait to see yours made up.

3. Denise September 1, 2010 at 4:28 am #

I knit too – hope to see you on Ravelry!!!Ove the yarn, shawls & socks are my favs – just finished Hedera in a gorgeous veil dyed green yarn.

4. Melissa September 1, 2010 at 7:38 am #

You are so sweet, Gay! Great to see you yesterday–I can’t wait to see your finished shawl!

5. Gay September 1, 2010 at 8:14 am #

Hi Kim,
    I don’t know who makes the yarn. It doesn’t say on mine. Give Melissa a call at Wool and Honey. She might be able to point you in the right direction or know of a shop near you if you want to touch & feel the fibers.

6. Myra September 1, 2010 at 8:43 am #

I SO wish that I could knit!!! I can barely knit,and purl,and the next thing I know,I’ve got a huge mess of tangles in my lap that look nothing like they are supposed to…! It’s very frustrating cause I can crochet like crazy but knitting eludes me.!N E Ways,that yarn is beautiful!

7. natys September 1, 2010 at 9:39 pm #

Hi im a quilter and knitter too
    Beautiful yarns!!!!! Love the color progression

8. Chris February 12, 2011 at 1:02 am #

Ditto, ditto!! I knit and quilt also. I have the pattern for the ruffled shawl as well but have not knitted it up yet. Love your article and your blog…very inspiring to read comments from kindred spirits.