Happy Birthday Pattern – Wurzburg’s Little Bunnies Crib Quilt

Today would have been my Dad's 100th birthday so I thought I'd share a pattern for one of the Wurzburg kit quilts. This one is kind of special to me. It's for the first quilt I ever made. I was pretty little when I told my Dad I wanted to make a quilt. He didn't say "go ask your mother", but presented me with some adorable bunny quilt blocks, a handful of shiny embroidery floss and embroidery chart.

You can use crayons (I recommend Prang) or fabric paints for the colored areas. You could also applique those sections. The embroidery is easy and don't be afraid to get more creative with setting your blocks together than I did as a little girl. In the 1930s they filled the plain squares with beautiful quilting and my mismatched muslin squares and yarn ties hardly do the pattern justice!

The pattern will be free until June 7 and then it's back in the Online Store. I hope you like Little Bunnies and pause a minute to thank Daddy, our birthday boy today, for saving all the great antique patterns for us to enjoy today.

Little Bunnies Pattern

June 9 2011 - Thanks for all the birthday wishes! I'm glad you liked the pattern

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

This post was written by who has written 496 posts on Sentimental Stitches.

15 Responses to “Happy Birthday Pattern – Wurzburg’s Little Bunnies Crib Quilt”

1. LoriD June 2, 2011 at 7:22 am #

That is such a sweet quilt! What a wonderful memory to have of your father.

2. Sarah June 2, 2011 at 8:34 am #

Just lovely!

3. sewprimitive karen June 2, 2011 at 10:16 am #

Agree, wonderful memory of your father. Did you color your blocks with the Prang crayons?

4. kathleen c June 2, 2011 at 11:18 am #

What a wonderful father! And a memory to treasure always. The quilt will surely be an heirrloom. Thanks for the pattern; I’ve never used the crayons before but I’m tempted to look for the Prang crayons now.

5. Diane C June 2, 2011 at 4:14 pm #

I love this quilt and the story and memory of your dad. I would love to get the pattern but I am not sure if I am not understanding how to get it. I have just had open heart surgery and am recouping. I just had surgery 1 week ago today and I cant figure out where the pattern is to save it. Can you please help me? Thank You Diane

6. mamypatch June 2, 2011 at 11:17 pm #

Un grand merci pour ce joli quilt chargé en émotions.
    Bises

7. Evita Piepho June 2, 2011 at 11:36 pm #

I’m SO glad you posted the Bunny quilt pattern. I will make it for my new grandbaby coming in December.
    I like your site but I have a terrible time reading it. Every thing is so miniscule and I have to ask my hubby to help me.
    Again I thank you and may G’d bless you. Evita

8. Carol Gottlieb June 4, 2011 at 5:33 am #

Thank you, thank you, thank you! Have you ever put these little bunnies in a book?

Happy Birthday to your dad, that he shall never be forgotten. Carol

9. Linnie Middleton June 4, 2011 at 5:36 am #

What a sweet memory of your father. I love the quilt but can’t find where or how to download the pattern.

10. Linnie Middleton June 4, 2011 at 5:38 am #

Well as it happens so many times I went back and took another look and found where you download the pattern. So please forget the previous posting.

11. Lois Gern June 4, 2011 at 10:09 am #

Please advise how to obtain free pattern of the wonderful bunnies. My dad wuld have been 102 last month.

12. Darlene June 4, 2011 at 4:22 pm #

Thanks for the wonderful pattern and story.
    I will make this for my grands

13. Dorothy N. Fowler June 4, 2011 at 6:25 pm #

Thanks for the patterns. I love doing crayon quilts, but like Crayolas better than any other crayon. But I will try Prang again, just because you said so.

I can’t wait to get this started! froggyintexas

14. Judith Bense June 5, 2011 at 9:07 pm #

To get the bunny pattern, just click on the name of the pattern above “Happy Stitches – Gay.” Best to all.

15. Fleurette June 8, 2011 at 8:45 am #

What a wonderful memory of your Dad, I loved the story. Thank you so much for sharing this special pattern with us!