Beyond The Cherry Trees – Block 21 – A Beautiful Quilt Block!

I really, really like this month's block. It's a great design to showcase your fabrics, embroidery and applique talents. I tried to take lots of pictures to share different sections so you can take see for yourself.

Don't you agree it's got it all!

Amongst all the beautiful applique I could only find one section with hidden stitches to track down.

There they are all stitched again in dark thread. Let's take a look at some of the other details in the block.

Reverse applique was used on the compote for detail. You might have a beautiful floral print you want to use and won't add the circles and cutout at the base.

The reverse applique on these polka dots really stood the test of time. If you don't like doing reverse applique you can always add the circles on top. Remember, it's your quilt so it's your rules.

This funky little bird has embroidery around the outside edge of the applique shape. I'm not sure what the design purpose was of the embroidery unless it was to further define the bird's shape.

Beautiful red cherries! The circles are not all the same size.

The block had purple grapes on both sides of the compote. It's so hard to know how to draft the embroidered stems on the grapes. I think the quilter did the applique first and then added the embroidery where it looked like it would fit. Because the fabric has deteriorated it's difficult to get the same feel for the applique. I'd suggest sewing your circles (they are all different sizes) first too and then adjusting the embroidery to please the eye.

The grapevine on the compote is a tight vine which appears to be made from blue fabric. I believe it was a different shade of green, possible darker, which has faded to blue. Two of the fruits in the compote were from the same fabric.

This truly is a beautiful quilt!

Head over to the Beyond The Cherry Trees Page to pick up this month's pattern. Clutch and I need to work on the other blocks for this month for the Nancy Page Quilt of Many Stars and there's lot of work to do for the new Dream Garden quilt starting this month.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

This post was written by who has written 528 posts on Sentimental Stitches.

9 Responses to “Beyond The Cherry Trees – Block 21 – A Beautiful Quilt Block!”

1. Scraphappy June 9, 2011 at 3:35 pm #

What is going on with the midget blocks? Thanks

2. mamypatch June 9, 2011 at 11:19 pm #

Trés jolie couette, encore merci pour cette magnifique recherche

3. LoriD June 10, 2011 at 7:12 am #

Thank you Gay! This is a terrific block and I’ll enjoy making it this month!!

4. Peg June 10, 2011 at 10:46 am #

Hi Gayle,
    The pattern for block 3 of the Nancy Page, Quilt of stars is not there. Only a small picture shows up. That also goes for block 21 of the polka dot garden quilt. Would you kindly resend them? Thatks fo so many wonderful patterns.

5. Lynn S June 11, 2011 at 4:41 am #

Morning! I really enjoy following all the special projects–and engaging in a few too! Thank you for sharing your tallents! Quick questions…are the midget blocks beyond 116 going to be posted –or are they now only availble in the Sentimental Stitchers program or the on-line store? I have 116 to date–let us know the plans when possible. Thanks!

6. Wendy Whellum June 12, 2011 at 2:26 am #

this is a lovely block, thanks Gaye. I have been waiting for this one for ages. I am now torn between those reverse appliques, and one of my beautiful green prints. No doubt it will tell me what to do as I move along. Wendy

7. Cleuza June 19, 2011 at 7:33 am #

This quilt is wonderful!

8. Judith July 2, 2011 at 8:17 am #

I love this quilt. However, for some reason, I have been unable to download the patterns for both the 20 & 21. All I see is the photos. I am not much of a drawer, but I have been trying to draw out the pattern with very little success. Could you pls send us the patterns?

Thanks, Judith

9. Gay July 2, 2011 at 10:39 am #

Hi Judith,
    Block 20 was retired at the beginning of last month. You can purchase a that pattern in the Online Store. Block 21 is still available for free. If you click on the text – “Block 21” under the picture the PDF file of the pattern will open for you.