Beyond The Cherry Trees Block 24 – The Vanishing Quilt Block

You have to look very, very closely before you even begin to see what this block of the Beyond The Cherry Trees quilt looks like. Nearly all of color has faded from the applique fabrics.

The green fabric has faded to brown. The yellow has faded. I suppose the fabric that is now cream could have originally been cream but I doubt it.....

because it's the bottom layer of the center circles right next to the background and most quilters would have used a color that contrasted with the background in that piece.

This layer of the flowers could have been cream but again, I kind of doubt it. More likely it was a double pink or even a double blue print like we've found in other blocks.

When you see an outline drawing of the block it's quite pretty. I have a feeling all those peaks and valleys in the flowers will get tedious when stitching but it'll be worth it when the block is finished.

The block has a fair amount of applique on it but the quilter managed to tuck a quilted motif in on all four sides of the block. This simple flower is a design we've seem in other blocks and fits nicely.

Now as adorable as these little stacked flower are, they have me still scratching my head. Why would you quilt the simple flower on three sides of the block and then put these stacked flowers on the fourth side? I don't have a clue but it's just one of the reasons why I love this quilt so much!

Here's the block with the four motifs stitched in dark thread.

If you're just discovering the Beyond The Cherry Trees quilt and would like some of the past blocks there is a new way for you to join in the fun. Blocks 1 thru 20 are now available in the Online Store as patterns you can download instantly. They're not as expensive as the printed patterns and you can begin stitching right away. If you need several of the past blocks they are also grouped together in sets of 5 blocks with an even greater savings. The last five blocks and borders will be added after we've finished the quilt. We have three border strips and one more block to go.

I've been thinking about making more patterns available as instant downloads. Please let me know what you think about that. Does that interest you? What patterns would you like that way? Clutch and I want to know!

P.S. I listed a bunch of Christmas patterns on ebay this week and will be listing some Christmas fabric tonight so be sure to take a look!

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

This post was written by who has written 526 posts on Sentimental Stitches.

7 Responses to “Beyond The Cherry Trees Block 24 – The Vanishing Quilt Block”

1. Denise :) October 13, 2011 at 4:17 pm #

This is a really beautiful quilt. Beautiful enough that even though I found you late in the game, I’ll probably end up purchasing the patterns to download. Luv-er-ly! 🙂

2. Lydia Goode October 13, 2011 at 6:51 pm #

I would also like to see the blocks from the State Fair Sampler made available for download.
    Thanks,
    Lydia

3. Lorid October 14, 2011 at 6:45 am #

Thanks you again Gay for making these blocks available to us. What a fantastic quilt!!

4. Maarit October 14, 2011 at 1:12 pm #

Dear Gay,
    you do amazing job with this quilt.
    I missed many blocks, but I bought them today as my birthday present.
    It is one of the best I have ever got.
    Your blocks and stories are so nice that it is very difficult to wait next one.
    I am going to make this quilt some day:)
    Million time thank you,
    Maarit from Finland

5. Judie Zinn November 10, 2011 at 6:04 am #

I have loved every block and will miss looking forward to them when this is over 8( What I REALLY WISH you could do is allow us to copy all your comments and pictures as you have worked on each block that you have published as you went along. It would be a world of help, not to mention a marvelous compendium of the structure as you have found it and developed it. I hope to become involved in making this quilt one day but I am the kind of person who needs to have it all before me before I begin. This “brilliant idea” of having these pictures and narrative struck me a couple months back and I have never tried to copy them . . . 8( Was it possible, I figured it wasn’t.

Thank you for undertaking this historically worthwhile task. We as applique artists thank you for your time and efforts on our behalf.

Judie Zinn, Hand applique and quilting teacher
    Omaha, NE

6. Cathy Danderfer November 25, 2011 at 5:32 pm #

I’m unable to download any of the BTCT downloadable blocks pattern at an accurate price. The total, which should be 19.99 for the package of 5 jumps to 34.95 on the page before the ‘method of payment’ page. I tried paying for a single pattern and it jumped to another incorrect total. Can you help?

7. Gay November 26, 2011 at 12:37 pm #

Hi Cathy,
    I found the glitch that was causing you the problem and fixed it. Lucky for you there’s now a Cyber Monday sale so you can save even more on your blocks if you order before midnight EST on Monday!