Just Takes 2™ Quilt – January 1 Quilt Blocks

Get out your rotary cutter and ruler!

Set up your ironing station!

Fire up that sewing machine!

It's January 1st!
We're off and running - it's time for the first blocks in the Just Takes 2 quilt!

The response to the Just Takes 2 mystery quilt has been fantastic. Brenda and I are glad you're as excited about this quilt as we are. You see, we'll be making the blocks right along with you and sharing our progress on the Just Takes 2 blog.

just takes 2 january 1 blocks

We are beginning with six blocks. Five of them are 6" blocks and one is a 12" block. One is an applique block. One is a combination of piecing and applique and four are pieced blocks. Have you noticed there is redwork embroidery on two of my blocks? If you know me you know I love redwork and embroidered quilts. There were several in the Infinite Variety exhibit and I wanted to include some in my own Just Takes 2 quilt. From time to time throughout the year you'll see it on different blocks whenever I think it looks nice. If you don't like embroidery - no problem. It's not a required part of the quilt. If you do like it you can add your own designs if you want. It you'd like to use the same designs I did you can do that too. We have an instant download in the Online Store you can purchase for (go ahead and laugh) Just $2!

Blocks 1

Blocks 2

Block 3

Block 4

Block 5

Block 6

I won't take up any more of your time with details or reminders. I'm sure you're anxious to download and print the patterns so you can start sewing. There are tutorials for many of the techniques mentioned in the Instructions section and I've also put links on the Just Takes 2 page. You can also review techniques in the Dear Jane software. We have fourteen days before you head over to Dear Jane on January 15 to get the next set. I hope you're as excited as we are and will have a fantastic 2012 with Just Takes 2. Don't forget to share your blocks on the blog. All you need to do is click on the big red Share Your Quilt button! We're still working out a few bugs so let us know if you have any problems.

Just Takes 2™ Blocks for January 1 - Click here

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

This post was written by who has written 532 posts on Sentimental Stitches.

50 Responses to “Just Takes 2™ Quilt – January 1 Quilt Blocks”

1. Caroline January 1, 2012 at 4:12 am #

Hi Gay ,
    I will be on hold as I leave in 3 days for Ca …yes will also go to Rd2Ca for the 1st time …This will be fun to follow and make …the blocks are really so pretty …can you give an estimation on the fabric yardages? I might as well buy in the USA ! Love Caroline

2. Brigitte January 1, 2012 at 6:06 am #

Hello Gay,
    at first best wishes for the New Year 2012.
    AND: thank you for the first blocks. It looks so beautiful and inspiring espacially the fine redwork in the blocks. Are there pattern for it?
    Can’t find it on the instructionpages?
    Best wishes
    Brigitte from Berlin
    Germany

3. Sue January 1, 2012 at 9:16 am #

I am looking forward to getting started on it! Thank you for doing this.

4. Paula January 1, 2012 at 10:54 am #

Oh I’m so excited! Can’t wait to get started.

5. galein29 January 1, 2012 at 11:12 am #

are there actual instructions for these blocks? If so, where?

6. Sophie January 1, 2012 at 11:35 am #

I love that you have referenced the quilts in the Infinite Variety exhibit that inspired the blocks. I plan to start my blocks later today and hope to have photos to share soon.

7. Cindy January 1, 2012 at 11:37 am #

Just downloaded the first blocks… I’m so excited to start!

8. Janet January 1, 2012 at 12:34 pm #

These look like so much fun- but I can’t figure out how to download the patterns- help!

9. Chris January 1, 2012 at 1:11 pm #

I’ve been itching to do a red and white quilt……this looks great…..wondering about fabric requirements for a two fabric quilt.

10. Sandy S January 1, 2012 at 1:13 pm #

Woo Hoo…I am doing a Christmas colours quilt…using 2 Moda Grace FQ bundles that I have Just hope that I can keep up! 😉

11. Janet January 1, 2012 at 2:36 pm #

the problem downloading was with my computer- it worked fine on my son’s computer!

12. Charlotte January 1, 2012 at 3:23 pm #

can’t wait to get started. digging through my stash now. since we r a texas aggie family mine will be maroon & white. my grown children will be voicing their opinion on who gets this one. having fun!

13. Rebecca January 1, 2012 at 3:27 pm #

What are the red and white fabrics used in the first 6 sample blocks?
    Are traditionally red and white quilts made with a pure white vs an off white or cream?
    Any suggestion as to fabric best suited to the red work embrodiery?
    Patterns and red work patterns both downloaded great and am really excited about the red and white. I did not get to see the exhibit in NYC this past spring…is there a book regarding red and white quilts. Thanks so much to both of you for doing this “project/challenge”.

14. Kathy Mitchell January 1, 2012 at 3:33 pm #

Hi, I woulld like to join the Just Takes 2 Blocks, but I don’t have a personal website. Can I still join?

Kathy

15. Susan January 1, 2012 at 6:35 pm #

I missed out on Cherry Trees, not finding it until too late, but I’m glad I’m not missing this one! Thank you!

16. Margot January 2, 2012 at 7:13 am #

Hi Gay,
    thank you for this wonderful work. I’m undecided about the colors that I use.
    I know that any color is beautiful, but …

Happy New Year!

17. Gay January 2, 2012 at 10:20 am #

Kathy, you don’t need to have a personal web site or blog to be part of the Just Takes 2. All you need to do is remember to get your block patterns on the 1st of the month from Sentimental Stitches and the 15th of the month at Dear Jane. We’d love it if you’d register on the Just Takes 2 site and share your quilt with everyone.

18. Lida January 2, 2012 at 10:24 am #

Oh what a nice quilt, but altho I really love the red and white, I think I will maken it in dark blue and soft green colors, but I will go to the shop tomorrow and hope to find the perfect colors for me and then I will show them later!
    Thanks for the free patterns and the great idea to you both!
    Greetings from Holland,
    Lida

19. Gay January 2, 2012 at 10:30 am #

Rebecca,
    I’m using Snow white for my background and P&B Color Spectrum 46 for my red. I think red and white quilts were traditionally made with pure white but those antique quilts are now off white. I chose the Snow white shade because it’s my favorite for redwork embroidery and as my 1930s background fabric. It reads ‘nice and bright’ without being a bleached white. I’ve heard there will be a book on the Infinite Variety Exhibit coming out in 2012. I can’t wait to see it!

20. Gay January 2, 2012 at 10:32 am #

I think everything you need to know about the fabric requirements are on the Basic Information page at Just Takes 2

21. Gay January 2, 2012 at 10:33 am #

When you download the block patterns there are instructions included for assembling the blocks.

22. Maxine January 2, 2012 at 11:41 am #

Well I must be having a senior moment, because I can’t find where you download the block patterns for the mystery quilt… HELP…I would like to use red and white….

23. Maxine January 2, 2012 at 11:45 am #

Forget, I do not have a blog..can I still do the mystery quilt?

24. Gay January 2, 2012 at 11:57 am #

No problem Maxine! You don’t have to have a blog to be part of Just Takes 2. All you need to do is remember to download your free blocks on the first of the month at Sentimental Stitches and the 15th of the month at Dear Jane. If you’d like to share your quilt making journey you can register on the Just Takes 2 blog and comment on your progress and show us pictures of your blocks.

25. Maxine January 2, 2012 at 12:33 pm #

So you can only download on the first of the month and the 15th of the month?

26. Gay January 2, 2012 at 1:09 pm #

The patterns are available for free for one month from the time they’re posted. The blocks posted on January 1 are free until Feb. 1. The blocks posted on January 15 will be free until Feb. 15 and so on throughout the year. Feb. 1 to Mar. 1, etc.

27. Sheila January 2, 2012 at 8:01 pm #

I cannot find the fabric requirements for the Just Takes 2 quilt.

28. Jennie January 3, 2012 at 5:02 pm #

Thanks for doing this – looks interesting. I’m a newbie and have started DJ but not very knowledgeable yet. Looking forward the next months blocks. ):

29. Gay January 3, 2012 at 5:45 pm #

The fabric requirements are on the Basic Information page at Just Takes 2

30. carol January 4, 2012 at 12:33 pm #

LOVE the blocks!! Thanks for all your work! Where do we find the redwork patterns??

31. Madeline in Ohio January 4, 2012 at 2:14 pm #

Hello, Planning on doing my blocks in off white/grayish and purple. When my quilt is finished I am planning on donating it for a raffle for Cancer. Using the grayish color for Lung cancer and purple–just because I like it. My Mother passed in 1994 from Lung Cancer and I want to Honor her with making a quilt and donating it for a good cause, because I know she would be pleased. My Mother was not a quilter; but she was a very talented crafter in other areas.

32. Gay January 4, 2012 at 3:16 pm #

What an awesome and very generous thing you’re doing Madeline!

33. Marianna Bergkamp January 5, 2012 at 7:37 am #

Hi Gay!
    I love to join and have read the entire site, downloaded the pattern and even bought the embroidery patterns yesterday. Quick service! Thanks! I am now trying to find the P&B fabric as I like to colour so much and real reds are really hard to find especially in Holland. Can you give me a tip if there is an internet shop you know off that sells P&B fabrics, especially this color pallette? I assume you use the classic color spectrum pallette? It would be very helpfull (spend a day or so just looking online where to find this fabric!) to know a place where I can buy it! Thanks in advance!
    Quilty Hugs,
    Marianna

34. Gay January 5, 2012 at 9:32 am #

You can get the Optional Redwork Designs in the Sentimental Stitches Online Store.

35. Gay January 5, 2012 at 9:51 am #

I purchased mine from Yoder Department Store in Shipshewana. They have it on their web site. P&B Color Spectrum No. 46

36. mamypatch January 5, 2012 at 10:54 am #

Merci, je viens de commencer, ou doit-on mettre les photos?

37. Gay January 5, 2012 at 11:34 am #

Vous pouvez cliquer sur le Big Red Partager Votre bouton Quilt au http://www.justtakes2.com de télécharger des photos de vos blocs et de nous dire à leur sujet. Nous aimerions voir vos blocs!

38. Maarit January 6, 2012 at 7:36 am #

I´m in:)
    So interesting!!!!

39. Zee January 6, 2012 at 11:36 am #

Gay,
    First thank you for the opportunity and the first 6 blocks. I have decided to use cream and red colors. I really like the embroidery on some of the blocks but I don’t know when I should add the embroidery. After I assembly the block or after I had my embroidery done then cut the pieces. Thanks in advance!
    Zee

40. Gay January 6, 2012 at 2:06 pm #

You can do it either way. I added the embroidery to mine after I’d sewn the blocks together.

41. Valinda January 6, 2012 at 4:27 pm #

I was wondering if you could tell how wide the borders will be so I can get the overall size of the quilt.If I’m not supposed to be askig this then forget I ever asked and be assured it won’t happen again.

42. Gay January 7, 2012 at 9:20 am #

The finished size of the block units in the quilt is 72″ x 90″. Shhhhh….no traditional borders but you could add them if you want a larger quilt.

43. 4BushelFarmgal January 13, 2012 at 11:48 pm #

I was so excited to find this quilt along! The first few blocks are lovely and everyone’s photos are beautiful.
    I can’t wait to get started. Please send me the first block patterns 🙂
    Thank you!

44. Gay January 14, 2012 at 11:57 am #

You can find all the information on the Basic Information page at Just Takes 2

45. Paula Kroencke January 16, 2012 at 6:33 am #

I just tried to download the patterns and could not. I started on the 14th before the deadline to no avail. I clicked on where it said to download and it will not work. What am I doing wrong?

46. Jo Ann Lindsey January 20, 2012 at 12:28 pm #

I had no problem downloading and printing the patterns for the blocks, but I bought the redwork patterns and can’t figure out how to download them.

47. Gisele January 22, 2012 at 7:44 am #

Merci pour ces premier blocs.Puis-je encore m’inscrire ??????Merci d’avance.
    Amicalement

48. Kaye August 27, 2019 at 2:23 pm #

Have only just come across this amazing quilt
    Is there a way to still accesss the patterns?
    Kaye

49. Gay August 27, 2019 at 6:09 pm #

Hi Kaye – you can purchase the patterns in the online store –

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Just Takes 2™ Quilt – January 15 Quilt Blocks | Sentimental Stitches - January 15, 2012

[…] saw my first blocks when we started the quilt on January […]