Beyond The Cherry Trees Left Side Border ………… the end

I can't believe I'm sitting here writing the final post for the Beyond The Cherry Trees quilt. What an unbelievable journey is has been from the day the quilt came into my life! It has been an honor and privilege to share such a very special quilt with you. There is no way I could have imagined the wonderful friends I'd make all over the world. Your talents in choosing fabric, sharing tips and skill in quilting truly amaze me. Your Beyond The Cherry Trees blocks are stunning to say the least!

As I was looking for hidden quilting stitches in the last border I needed to draft I marveled at the fact that the quilt had surprises for me right to the very end. New designs I hadn't seen before and quilting stitches that made no sense to me in their use or placement. What a creative, visionary our Beyond The Cherry Trees quilter was. Here's your look at the final left side border of the quilt -

This is the start of the left side border at the upper left corner of the quilt. I like the three nonsensical little leaves facing in from the outside edge. Check out the "stacked hearts?" design that we haven't seen before.

Moving down the border, a hand drawn feather swag stitched to match the angle of the vine.

Another feather swag along the outside edge and you can see two of the little leaves stitched on the inside of the border this time.

This is where the outside edge of the left side starts looking pretty rough. There's a couple more leaves and only a flower this time near the edge. Did our quilter get tired of feathers or was she just having a bad day when she got to this part?

Is the motif with the double circle center a flower or representation of the sun? What do you think?

We're back to the feather swags on this section and look at that cute, simple heart coming out from the vine.

A big, puffy flower, elegant leaf and another flower/sun motif.

Oh my goodness, this final corner is just filled with little wonders! A couple of small flowers. A double circle center flower. Another double circle center flower/sun motif. Look at those teardrop leaf shapes - what's that all about? Even stranger, look at the little double row arcs! The only thing thing I could think of --- Was this a place our quilter was trying different designs to see what she liked best? --- We'll never know..............

Here's a better look at the new stacked hearts design.

The mysterious corner
If you're looking for a little break from all the applique there's a new foundation paper piecing pattern set for a unique Lancaster, Pennsylvania patchwork quilt.

You can get foundation paper piecing patterns for all 72 of the 4 1/2" blocks in this quilt. They've been on sale at the introductory price for the last week and I'll leave them on sale a few more days just for the Beyond The Cherry Trees quilters.

CLICK HERE TO PURCHASE DIGITAL DOWNLOAD

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

This post was written by who has written 526 posts on Sentimental Stitches.

7 Responses to “Beyond The Cherry Trees Left Side Border ………… the end”

1. Bonnie February 10, 2012 at 9:11 pm #

Oh my, it has been quite a journey!! I have 3 borders to do and then I can sew it all together and start hand quilting . I want to hand quilt it so I can get in all those little motifs you found in the quilt. Thankyou so much for all your work and for the gift of the quilt patterns. What beautiful quitls we will all have. Thankyou again.

2. Patricia Taylor February 10, 2012 at 10:14 pm #

Just this very night I have assembled the last pattern #25 to begin appliqueing…when I started this over a year ago, it seemed daunting to me as a beginning appliquer. I can’t believe it has come this far and though my blocks are probably not perfection, what lessons and discoveries I have made along the way are a treasure to me.

Adding my thanks to you for all the hard work you have put into this. To the unknown quilter who created the original…I feel a bond with you across the ages and with all the other quilters who have been a part of this project.

3. KatieQ February 11, 2012 at 7:34 am #

Thank you for sharing this wonderful quilt. Each of your posts was like a chapter in a mystery novel and left us breathlessly waiting for more. My feeling of awe has remained constant throughout this wonderful journey you have led us on. I wish I could have met the quilter who created this wonderful piece of art. Luckily, you have been here to introduce her to us through your faithful presentation of her work. Thank you again.

4. LoriD February 11, 2012 at 7:37 am #

Thank you Gay! This has been such a fun quilt to make and I love the quilting motifs you have found throughout!!

5. Fiona February 11, 2012 at 10:31 am #

To Gay, thank you so much for your wonderful and generous gift of all the blocks and borders to reproduce your wonderful quilt.

Although I am only halfway through my blocks, I have so enjoyed stitching them. The project has given me the much needed ability choose colours from outside my “comfort zone” – to be able to play with my fabric choices has been both stimulating and rewarding, spurrred on by your quilt.

I am so looking forward to the quilting with all those motifs and symbols I am sure drawn from the quilter’s life and world.

I don’t quite know now what I will do on the 10th of each month, but I’ll be stitching!

Once again many thanks and best wishes.

6. CissaK February 11, 2012 at 4:10 pm #

Thank you so much for all these great patterns. I have collected them; and this past January I started on my first block. I have 4 blocks made. I am loving it. I think this great quilter was using he quilt as a sampler for all the quilting motives. Like some people did with the embroidery. Thanks again. I am not sure if this blog will continue; but I will check to see what the contributors are doing.

7. Maarit February 12, 2012 at 1:03 am #

Thank you Gay for this amazing journey.
    This quilt is so wonderful.