Just Takes 2™ Quilt – February 15 Quilt Blocks

It's February 15 and that means it's time for the second set of Just Takes™ blocks at Dear Jane.
A couple of these blocks are a bit challenging but if you follow the instructions you'll be fine. There's even one block where I used more than one piecing techniques when I worked on it! I'll share with you what I did.

These are the next 5 blocks!

They are all 9" blocks blocks this time. Brenda and I had fun working on these. Once again, you'll get a chance to practice several of your quilting techniques on this bunch. If you need help with the quilting techniques there's help in the Instructions section here and in the lessons on the Dear Jane software.

Block 14
Easy peasy rotary cutting and machine piecing. I'd love to do a whole quilt with these blocks and put redwork embroidery in the open spaces but I'm not adding embroidery to this one for Just Takes 2™.

Block 15
It was easiest to foundation piece this block. Follow the cutting instructions and you'll have it done in now time!

Block 16
I thought this block was going to be a real stinker and it did present some challenges but this is what I did. I foundation pieced the center and points.
I machine pieced the points to the center.

remembering to start and stop my stitching at the beginning and end of the seam lines.

I did this for all four points of the block.

I used the template to cut the side pieces of my background fabric and started to sew them following the instructions for Y Seam piecing but still machine stitching. This is where things came to a screeching hault. No matter how much I fiddled with the seam I wasn't satisfied with how it looked at the pivot point. The foundation paper may have made it more difficult to navigate. Maybe it just my state of mind but I was having trouble with it.

I decided to combine machine and hand piecing in this area. I machine stitched from the corners toward the pivot point and secured the end of my stitching by backstitching. I then hand pieced the pivot area and wonder of wonders - all four pivot points turned out great on the first try. The point I want to impress on you is this - don't be afraid to combine techniques within an individual block to achieve the results you want!

Block 17
A great fun block to foundation piece. I wish I had the time to make an entire quilt of these blocks too. Set on point like the quilt in the exhibit they're stunning.

Block 18
Simple machine piecing and some applique to work on during your favorite television show.

Remember.......this time you need to visit the Dear Jane web site to get your blocks. It's also the last day to take advantage of the Sweetheart Sale on Beyond The Cherry Trees.

Just Takes 2 Blocks for February 15 - Click here to visit Dear Jane

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

This post was written by who has written 526 posts on Sentimental Stitches.

8 Responses to “Just Takes 2™ Quilt – February 15 Quilt Blocks”

1. Sandie @ crazy'boutquilts February 15, 2012 at 4:06 pm #

Thanks for all the great tips! I thought I would dread the pp’ing, but the last two blocks acutually weren’t too bad. 😉 I’m looking forward to the pine burr block~ I would love a whole quilt with this block! LOL

2. Sunshine February 18, 2012 at 2:54 pm #

Really not a fan of paper-piecing! Hope there’s not too much more of it – but I have a feeling there will be. Looking forward to more embroidery and applique.

3. Lline February 18, 2012 at 7:30 pm #

I was wandering if there will be any more bits if embroidery to add to our blocks? I plan on adding white work on some of the color pieces as well as the ‘red work’ and the white pieces.I haven’t started yet as I’m moving and most of my quilting stuff is packed away. Catching up shouldn’t be a problem as soon as I decide which color I want to use. Maybe a rich purple. We’ll see how it goes.

4. Madhu February 23, 2012 at 1:29 am #

Hi, did anyone else also think there was an error in the cutting instructions of the flying geese block vis-a-vis the accompanying picture?
    One is supposed to cut 4 rectangles (1.5″X 2.5″) in background colour (white) for the centre, and then 16 for the geese and centre (again? should it not be 12 for the geese only?). The squares for the geese are 12 in red cut diagonally.
    This should give white `geese’ against the red `sky’. The accompanying picture shows red geese against a white sky. Thought I would just mention this as it confused a relative beginner like me:)

5. Jane February 23, 2012 at 11:24 am #

@ Madhu – I had noticed that also with Block 17 Broken Heart. I had cut by pieces using the illustration and not the instructions. When I was piecing it together, I had noticed it wasn’t matching Gay and Brenda’s blocks.

The illustration of Block 17 is now changed to “white geese against a red sky” as it should be.

6. GB February 28, 2012 at 10:10 am #

I see that you have corrected the pdf for Block 17. Cutting directions for the white say:
    • Cut four 1 1/2” x 2 1/4” rectangles four center
    • Cut sixteen 2” x 3” rectangles for geese around center

The four 1 1/2 x 2 1/4 rectangles are too small. Should be 1 1/2 x 2 1/2.

Also why do we need 16 geese when there are only 12?

7. belinda March 9, 2012 at 1:27 pm #

Oh how wonderful your blocks look!!! You may have told this somewhere already, but what red fabric are you using on yours??

Thanks!