Just Takes 2™ Quilt – March 1 Quilt Blocks

Today's the day! It's time for the 5th set of Just Takes 2 blocks. I hope you've had a chance to finish the last group. Can you believe you've already made 18 of the blocks in this quilt and it's only the first of March?
You should probably take a deep breath before you scroll down and take a look at the blocks for today.

Okay, I heard that gasp all the way over here in Michigan! We don't want you to be nervous or intimidated. We have step by step instructions for you.

Block 19

I changed the red center on this block to white and added redwork embroidery. If you've never made a Feathered Star block this will be a great learning experience. It's a 15" block so the pieces are small enough to be delicate but large enough so you don't feel too overwhelmed. If you're in love with some of the embroidery on my block (which we hope you are) there's an Optional Redwork Embroidery Pattern you can purchase as a digital download HERE. There are 14 designs to choose from and they're sized perfectly for the squares and triangles in this block.

If embroidery isn't your thing - don't worry - the block is beautiful on it's own using red fabric for the center. Either way there are a few things you can do to guarantee success when sewing.

• Take your time! I can't stress this one enough. Work slowly and you won't have any trouble putting this together.
  • If your fabrics have a soft feel to them I suggest using Magic Sizing or some spray starch on them before cutting your pieces. I like Mary Ellen's Best Press Clear Starch Alternative 16 Ounces-Lavender Fields. It'll make a big difference in the stability of your fabric pieces when working on this block.
  • Make sure you're sewing an exact or slightly scant 1/4" seam.
  • Press seams open where suggested in the instructions. I know this goes against almost everything we've ever learned but trust me it helps.

There are some additional tips on the pattern sheets and here are a few pictures I took while sewing my block.

Press seams open where instructed in the directions.

By pressing some of the seams open you have a clear view of the intersections of the feathers in your star when sewing these strips to the background squares and triangles.

A completed corner section. (I had cut my background square extra big but wouldn't do that again.)

Here's a look at the first partial seam you'll be asked to sew.

The partial seams sewn on the background triangles.

The kites!

Adding the white corners if you're making your block with a red center.

Ready to finish up those partial seams.

Block 20

Block 21

Block 22

If you fall in love with Feathered Stars you might want to check out the pattern for the Feathered Star Redwork Wall Quilt in the Online Store.

*** We have found an error on the foundation patterns for the Flying Geese on Blocks 20 & 22. The beak of the last goose has fallen 1/4" so the angle is incorrect on pieces A14 and A15!

The pattern file has been corrected.......

Just Takes 2 Blocks for March 1 - Retired Click here to purchase

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

This post was written by who has written 496 posts on Sentimental Stitches.

21 Responses to “Just Takes 2™ Quilt – March 1 Quilt Blocks”

1. Patty Hall March 1, 2012 at 7:27 am #

Oh my this is a super block and will be gorgeous in and of itself. great workmanship! and thanks for giving to the rest of us!
    Quilter000

2. Sheila March 1, 2012 at 7:38 am #

You know i DID gasp, I have never done a feathered star before. I’d better get some rest, so i am strong enough to tackle it.

3. SoBuzy March 1, 2012 at 8:58 am #

I am anxious to get started…and this will certainly be a first and major challenge for me! Let’s see……taxes or Just Takes Two today???

4. Madhu March 1, 2012 at 10:20 am #

Wow! This really is so very pretty!

5. Lynda March 1, 2012 at 10:37 am #

Thank you for the detailed instructions and for the video to help with the embroidery!
    ~ Lynda

6. Jan March 1, 2012 at 12:05 pm #

Great video tutorial. This is exactly the way I handle my embroidery/redwork points! All those tricks & tips help to make some beautiful hand work. Thanks! I’m enjoying the bi-monthly blocks. This will make a beautiful quilt.

7. Sarah March 1, 2012 at 2:36 pm #

I keep getting a 404 error message (page not found) on the pdf page for this installment…Am I alone in this or does the link need fixing???

8. Gay March 1, 2012 at 2:49 pm #

I just checked the link and the file seems to be okay Sarah. Let me know if you’re still having trouble.

9. Lynette P Brisbane March 1, 2012 at 4:27 pm #

This block is just gorgeous. I have been resisting the temptation to start this quilt as I am on the final stages of a Dear Jane. Only 11 triangles to go!. But this block is so very very tempting and the redwork just beautiful.

10. Donna (AKmom) March 1, 2012 at 5:07 pm #

On the feather star instructions it says to cut out 8 diamonds from template D- I did, they were way to small for the triangles. (finished size, not unfinished size When I added the 1/4 inch seam allowance they fit much better. I’m assuming that your templates for hand piecing do not have seam allowances, You might want to say something about adding seam allowances for those templates since the diamonds and kites for the machine piecing cutting instructions use them as well. Or did I miss something as I read the instructions?

Now back to piecing…

11. Gay March 1, 2012 at 5:57 pm #

There are templates for machine piecing on another page and those include the seam allowance.

12. Lynette P Victoria March 1, 2012 at 6:34 pm #

Wow how gorgeous and so now I just have to complete the last issue of blocks and get started on these beauties…and I thought I was ahead!! 🙂

13. Terry March 1, 2012 at 9:10 pm #

Yup! You heard me all the way from Texas!! But it is a Beautiful block. And as
    I told my friend tonite, just look/stitch one section at a time! :0)

14. Linda March 3, 2012 at 3:28 am #

Might have been my gasp from NJ? I looked at the block, and said..gasp.. how beautiful.. and oh, it is too bad I can never do something like that…
    now??? I can’t wait to try. Thank you!

15. Susan March 4, 2012 at 2:03 pm #

[http://www.flickr.com/photos/72213567@N03/6807162832/]

16. Beth March 4, 2012 at 4:17 pm #

Made the 1 1/2″ square units and have them sewn into pairs. Sewed the diamond to the white triangle E that came from 2″ square. Question…how do you align a 1 1/2″ unit to a 2″ unit? Are we suppose to trim down the white triangle attached to the diamond so that it will fit the half square triangle unit?

17. Louise March 13, 2012 at 2:57 pm #

Gay, thanks so much for the video showing how to make points while embroidering. It helped alot. Love the blocks. Thanks so much!

18. Lynette P Victoria March 13, 2012 at 11:24 pm #

My friend who is also doing the take2 quilt, though in minature, (her blocks look amazing) gave me the foundation pattern for the ‘feathered star’ I hope to get started tonight. I am thrilled with the blocks so far and will be ready for the next issue after I complete the F.S. 🙂

19. alicia d March 23, 2012 at 9:59 pm #

had fun so far but am having trouble downloading March blocks. says that not connected to internet????

20. Gay March 24, 2012 at 9:44 am #

Try refreshing the page and see if that helps. If not, log off and back on again. When all else fails restart your computer. Let me know if you’re still having trouble.

21. Eileen February 8, 2015 at 4:27 am #

Have seen a quilt like this but made with 18 inch embroidered blocks. Was wondering if you would know how to enlarge it. Will try to attach a picture with this, but am not very good on the computer. lol. Thanks for all your help.