Vintage Embroidered Cloth Dolls in Embroider Me™ 2

I've been having so much fun putting together the second collection of designs for the Embroider Me™ series. This time I've focused on some of my collection of early 1900s embroidered cloth doll patterns. There are so many wonderful designs to choose from that it was hard to know which ones to present first. I decided on some of the 8" - 12" dolls this time. As you can see I'm not the only one who thinks these little cuties are something special!

The new Embroider Me™ Collection 2 has full size patterns for 23 dolls. They are presented in their antique form just as they were stamped on fabric and sold in kits during the early 1900s.

Can you imagine how much fun it would have been to pick up one of these little packages and make a doll? I hope to make a few of them this summer. The kits pictured came with clothes to dress the dolls. Sorry, Collection 2 doesn't include any clothing patterns, just dolls.

The little flower girl is one of the smaller designs and the Dolly Dingle style doll is one of the larger ones. Here's a look at their front and back -

Please remember these are antique dolls and have signs of age........stains, broken threads, etc but I still love them to pieces.

Don't you just love the little fish she's holding?

I don't think her feet could be any cuter. This little girl is included in Collection 2 and there are others her size. Most of the embroidery is done with 3-6 strands of floss. On the larger dolls you could use pearl cotton if you wanted.

These two look like they're ready for a parade. No back side to these designs. A few of the smaller dolls have oval bottoms and can be weighted to stand on their own.

This exact doll isn't included in Collection 2 but I wanted you to see how much detail is included on the dolls that were intended to wear clothes. They have sweet little undergarments embroidered on them. They're cute even without clothes. They really thought of everything!

If I haven't teased you enough with these sweethearts - you can CLICK HERE for a sample page from the pattern.

If the dolls are the same size you can............

mix and match them putting a girl on one side and a boy on the other. These dolls are larger than those in Collection 2 - watch for them in future patterns.

You can purchase either a digital download or a traditional printed pattern of Embroider Me™ Collection 2 in the Online Store. Both Collection 1 and Collection 2 will be on sale at an introductory price until the end of April so get your summer embroidery stitching ready now. You'll need to use the coupon code NEWDOLLS during checkout to receive the special pricing. I'll bet you won't be able to make just one!

I'd like your help in putting together the next set of patterns. What would you like?
Flowers
More dolls
Animal dolls (bunnies, kittens, etc.)
Clothes for dolls
Border and corner designs
Animals
People

The next pattern is up to you so leave me a comment or send an email. Clutch and I will tally the results and get to work.

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

This post was written by who has written 525 posts on Sentimental Stitches.

16 Responses to “Vintage Embroidered Cloth Dolls in Embroider Me™ 2”

1. Kris April 20, 2012 at 5:11 am #

I just downloaded these and they are so sweet that I’m not sure which to start with! I have visions of making them for my nieces for Christmas. Thanks for the inspiration and all your work on the patterns! My vote would be for the animal dolls next!

2. Mary Louise Kearns April 20, 2012 at 6:31 am #

I’d love to see animals and kitchen linens

3. Deb April 20, 2012 at 6:39 am #

Priceless!!!!!! These are so adorable!! I remember shopping with my mother at Wurzburgs’s as a child…what precious memories this brings back. Thank you.

4. Wanda April 21, 2012 at 1:08 pm #

Do the dolls come printed on fabric?
    If not, how do you get them transferred?

5. Gay April 21, 2012 at 1:39 pm #

The patterns are printed on paper. I trace the design on my fabric using a washout marking pen or pencil. I’m working on a tutorial making one of the dolls. I’ll post it as soon as I can.

6. Beverly Sherman April 23, 2012 at 6:28 am #

These dolls are speaking to me. I have sent my order in, and want to be ready when they get here soooo…what kind of fabric do you suggest I should use? Are most of the pictured dolls included in the patterns?And is the rest of the sample doll “you teased ” us with in the patterns? Thanks Beverly

7. Julie April 24, 2012 at 2:43 am #

Just too cute. I would like to see the doll clothes next then the animal dolls. off to order them now.

8. lyn lewis April 26, 2012 at 12:37 am #

The dolls are wonderful, can see why you love them to bits.
    Are you selling the coloured patterns printed on fabric so the original colours are there, for us to embroider over..as in the originals?
    If not couldnt you do that? Maybe Spoonflower could print the fabric up?
    I suppose the makers have long since gone so copyright wont be an issue and you’d be able to recreate ( and sell!) a little bit of the magic?
    Or are you just selling an outline print for us to transfer onto fabric, without the original subtly aged colours?
    Sorry…………..<<<<< am easily confused lol
    Cheers,
    Lyn

9. Mrs. K April 27, 2012 at 12:33 am #

These are adorable! I’m going to order. I’d love to see more vintage dolls and kitchen linens too.

10. Valerie April 27, 2012 at 4:28 am #

Adorable! Wondering then, first these need to be printed on fabric, then embroidered, then hand sewn or machine sewn together after stuffed? Not clear to me, thanks! Yes, as you mentioned, a tutorial would definitely be helpful, thank you. Would like to see more dollies, clothes for them, animals and vintage days-of-the-week kitchen towels too! Suh-weet!

11. Gay April 27, 2012 at 6:47 am #

The Collection 2 set of dolls is a set of line drawings with two pages of photos showing finished dolls for color suggestions. I’m gathering everyone’s suggestions to plan the best way to present more patterns. I’m working on thread collections, coloring guides, etc. to go along with the patterns too.

12. Gay April 27, 2012 at 6:51 am #

You’ll transfer the pattern to your fabric and color and/or embroider where you want. You can them sew the front and back of the doll together by machine leaving an opening to turn right side out. Stuff and sew the opening closed. The dolls were called Cuddle Dolls.

13. Becky P S April 27, 2012 at 12:16 pm #

Wow. These are beautiful! On my wish list now.

As to what I’d like to see next? Probably doll clothes patterns but I am confident whatever you create will be fab!

14. Susan May 7, 2012 at 4:42 am #

I would love to see a collection of animal dolls—bunnies, kittens, puppies, ducks–whatever you have!

15. Marilyn Novaes January 14, 2016 at 8:20 pm #

I’d like a collection of dolls together with their own ‘pets’ !! They are adorable.

One little girl has her own dress – do any others??

16. Kathy Engel May 7, 2019 at 4:34 pm #

I am inquiring about the value of one of these embroidered very old doll? It has a boy on one side and a girl on the other. A friend who is a doll collector thought it was worth quite a bit. Thank you