Grandmother’s Choice and Sally Post – Why Didn’t I Think of That!

I had an unusual thing happen yesterday. Orders started coming in one after the other for the same pattern. I couldn't help but wonder what in the world was going on. The pattern had been presented as a block of the month a long time ago and while it's still a great pattern is doesn't usually sell at this rate.

Remember this?

It's the Sally Post Floral Sampler quilt. Well, I couldn't stand it and had to solve the ordering mystery so I wrote to one of my customers and guess what? The blocks are the same size as the Grandmother's Choice blocks I was eagerly awaiting the start of from Barbara Brackman and she wanted to add some applique blocks to her quilt. Why didn't I think of that???

If you haven't seen this, you really need to take a look. Each weekly block is accompanied by wonderful historical information and stories on women's rights. It's such an interesting journey to see what appears each week and to have a quilt block to go along with it makes it even more special.

A new block and information is presented each Saturday for 49 weeks and at the end of the year you'll have enough blocks for your quilt. The subtle purple and green colors of this years blocks are beautiful. I may just have to follow Barbara's lead and make my blocks using the same colors. They're beautiful.

I'm honored to have so many people like the Sally Post blocks enough that they want to add them to Barbara's blocks and probably should be giving you the link suggesting everyone buy the pattern but that's just not what quilting is all about for me.
There are 36 blocks in the Sally Post Floral Sampler and I'll post a block each week (Saturday) for anyone who wants to add a little applique to their Grandmother's Choice blocks. The Sally Post blocks are set "on point" so I'll include an extra page with the design sized to fit on a "straight set" 8" block.
If you can't stand to wait for the weekly blocks then by all means go ahead and order the pattern but it doesn't include the straight set sized blocks.
Special note: If you placed an order for the pattern in the last couple of days and are feeling a little blue because the blocks will be offered again for free, please email me and I'll make it right with you.

Sally Post Floral Sampler Quilt

I hope you're having a great Labor Day weekend if you're in the United States. It's just beautiful here at the cottage and we're enjoying the sunshine.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

This post was written by who has written 531 posts on Sentimental Stitches.

10 Responses to “Grandmother’s Choice and Sally Post – Why Didn’t I Think of That!”

1. Penny P September 2, 2012 at 10:18 am #

I made the Sally Post quilt a few years ago and gave it as a gift. I’ll have to think about including some of the blocks into Grandmother’s choice! It’s wonderful that you’re offering this series again, making it (and giving it) was a real joy!

2. Carol Stearns September 2, 2012 at 2:42 pm #

Thank you! I belong to a Quilt and Lose team on Sparkpeople.com and I have posted the Grandmother’s Choice BOM on it as a project for the group. We have one member who is very new to quilting and the BOM does not have assembly instructions. For a novice, that is difficult. wondered if you had considered a tutorial for the GMA Choice block as well or know where I could find it? Thanks and I’m looking forward to your site as well!

3. Nancee September 2, 2012 at 3:49 pm #

Gay, you are so generous! What a wonderful addition for those who want to make their quilts larger (like someone we know who loves quilts 120″ x 120″), and enjoying some applique at the same time. I finished my first Grandmother’s Choice block, and I think I’ll start working on the Sally Post blocks too. Thanks! Have a wonderful weekend!
    Nancee

4. Lynda in UK September 3, 2012 at 1:36 am #

This just proves yet again that quilters are the most generous people! I have made my first GC block (in lime green and purple because I wanted something a bit more up to date) and would love to extend it to a double. Thank you so much!

5. Kathie L September 3, 2012 at 8:36 am #

How wonderfully generous of you. Now I’ll have two things to look forward to each weekend. Thanks so much.

6. Ann Champion September 4, 2012 at 12:59 pm #

Thanks so much for your generosity Gay! I missed out on the Sally Post quilt the first time around. I’m looking forward to getting those cute blocks. 🙂

7. Terry S. September 4, 2012 at 3:27 pm #

Thank you sooo much for doing this – I have been doing the Just takes 2 project (which is quite a challenge for an “advanced beginner” like me – and have found that I am enjoying the applique blocks – so this is just great! TWO wonderful things to look forward to each Saturday!

8. Jean September 14, 2012 at 8:49 pm #

That is extremely generous of you! Thanks so much!!

9. Limbania October 4, 2012 at 1:32 pm #

Thank you for publishing this blocks again! They’re beautiful. Where and when will you start publishing the blocks? Don’t mean to be pushy but, have been keeping an eye every Saturday and haven’t benn able to find anything in your website or the Grandmother Choice blog site. Thanks again. 🙂

10. Gay October 4, 2012 at 3:17 pm #

The patterns are presented on the Sally Post Floral Sampler quilt page. The blocks with their name in bold text are the ones that have been posted. Just click on that bold text (ie. Block 1) under the little pictures of each block and the pattern file should open for you. You can also right click on that text and use “Save link as” to download the file directly to your computer. A new block is posted each week.